Thread: Need Advice! - Backtrack & ubuntu

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Question Need Advice! - Backtrack & ubuntu

Hello guys i use bt, for some while about a year, just for curiosity. I have a simples question, backtrack is just and ONLY, for security testing or i can also be used for standard use, same as Ubuntu, Debian, etc?

I wanted to replace ubuntu for backtrack, but i also want to be available to do the same things i used to do in ubuntu (normal stuff)... I think i can be done.
    But i want to know what you think!

thks

Quote Originally Posted by KeaperGrave View Post
    Hello guys i use bt, for some while about a year, just for curiosity. I have a simples question, backtrack is just and ONLY, for security testing or i can also be used for standard use, same as Ubuntu, Debian, etc?

I wanted to replace ubuntu for backtrack, but i also want to be available to do the same things i used to do in ubuntu (normal stuff)... I think i can be done.
    But i want to know what you think!

thks
    BackTrack is designed for penetration testing. Of course, you can do pretty much whatever you want with it, but that's not really the point. If you want to do other stuff, find a distro that is designed for "other stuff".
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

As Prez mentioned, backtrack was designed for pen-testing. It wasn't meant to be a main distro for daily use. Since it's advanced & not quite as user-friendly as others. The typical advice would be to keep Ubuntu for daily use. Then just use BT for security related tasks. The choice is entirely up to you of course.

Just burned his ISO

Thks...
    Now i have another question, how good bt will work when emulating him using the vmware image on linux and win?

Just burned his ISO

D-Link AirPlus Xtreme G DWL-G132 is not working with backtrack.i am a new user so pls explain me in detail

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by MosGuy View Post
    As Prez mentioned, backtrack was designed for pen-testing. It wasn't meant to be a main distro for daily use. Since it's advanced & not quite as user-friendly as others. The typical advice would be to keep Ubuntu for daily use. Then just use BT for security related tasks. The choice is entirely up to you of course.
    Ok. I think i will use bt with it vmware image file, how well will bt work that way? In Win and Linux?? Does you guys have used it??

Just burned his ISO

where can I find backtrack 2 command line... please answer cause iam newbie

Red face

how well will bt work that way? In Win and Linux?
    I have windows xp service pack 3. Currently using VMware workstation and it works like a charm. You can't, however, use wireless through VMware unless you use a usb wlan adapter.

where can I find backtrack 2 command line
    When you launch bt and login you should be at the konsole unless you have it autostart startx...??

Quote Originally Posted by myadwan View Post
    where can I find backtrack 2 command line... please answer cause iam newbie
    the terminal

You should read this thread from last week on the topic of using BT as a daily use OS:
    http://forums.remote-exploit.org/sho...ighlight=daily
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.