Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pimp my eeepc...

Developer

Default Pimp my eeepc...

So I had a break from school and I decided to rebuild my eeepc. I had originally been booting from sdhc card with persistent changes but I decide to install bt3 to the internal hard disk because I rarely need to save any thing on the eeepc and if I do I can just scp it back to my home computer. Anyway so I fdisked to whole thing and started from scratch. I use a few other peoples work here on the forum but what I really wanted was a lighter window manager for the eeepc. One of my favorite ones is e17. You can read about it here.. http://www.enlightenment.org/

So I decide to add it to the eeepc. (I'm in the process of making a .lzm for e17 hopefully). So the funny part about it all is I spent a whole morning compiling all the e17 packages from source and getting it working and then I found a slackware script already made for it.

So heres what I did in this order...

1. Installed bt3 (cd version) to harddisk
    http://forums.remote-exploit.org/sho...94&postcount=1
    heres my lilo file. I get rid of the prompt and time out thing because its silly if you only have 1 OS.
    Code:
    lba32
    boot = /dev/hdc
    change-rules
    reset
    vga = normal
    image = /boot/vmlinuz
    root = /dev/hdc1
    label = Backtrack

2. Raised the clock speed of the eeepc
    http://forums.remote-exploit.org/sho...21&postcount=1

3. Got rid of all the kde crap....
    removepkg /var/log/packages/kde*
    *note there is actually more stuff you can get rid of but thats up to the individual user. If you type "pkgtool" in a shell you can go through and remove the stuff you dont need.

4. Now to add e17
    bt~#wget http://downloads.sourceforge.net/sla...080504.tar.bz2
    bt~# tar xjvf slacke17/slacke17-20080504.tar.bz2
    bt~#cd slacke17-20080504
    bt~#./slacke17-install.sh max

* note this will install the full version of e17. read carefully the README, README.e17, INSTALL, UPGRADING and NOT-E17 files because there are some other more minimal options.

5. Next I rmed the cpu package and the slake17 packages because I'm trying to conserve space.

6. Now this step is optional: I decide to put in the kernel sources because I may need them so...
    bt~#wget http://www.offensive-security.com/kernel.lzm
    bt~#lzm2dir kernel.lzm /

7. Next I grabbed the modified eeepc madwifi drivers by HD. Moore
    bt~#wget http://www.offensive-security.com/madwifi.tgz
    bt~#installpkg madwifi.tgz

8. Next I used this kids firewall he posted that was based of of mine and another one he found. I like to use other peoples stuff they worked on and I thought I'd try this. I just added it to rc.local right under the cpu stuff.
    http://forums.remote-exploit.org/sho...40&postcount=1

9. Next I fixed kismet for the eeepc..
    bt~#nano /usr/local/etc/kismet.conf
    change the source line.... source=madwifi_g,wifi0,madwifi

10. Next there was a hack on the eeepc forums to write tmp to ram to save our disk.
    bt~#nano /etc/fstab
    add these lines to the bottom..
    tmpfs /tmp tmpfs defaults,noatime,mode=0777 0 0
    tmpfs /var/tmp tmpfs defaults,noatime,mode=0777 0 0
    tmpfs /var/log tmpfs defaults,noatime,mode=0777 0 0

11. Now the last thing is to fix it so startx will start e17
    bt~#rm /root/.xinitrc
    bt~#nano /root/.xinitrc

add this line...
    dbus-launch --exit-with-session /usr/bin/enlightenment_start

and save...

Alright now reboot and when you type startx you should be looking at a e17 environment. I find it is way more responsive on a little machine like the eeepc..

*note: I'm still working on a .lzm of it all and importing the backtrack menu into e17 but I decide to go ahead and release this part. Special thanks to the slacke17 project for a great package.

Heres a screeny....

Cool loving your work!

I have been thinking of a eeepc for a while but various problem posts had kind of put me off, but after seeing this i'll be getting down to Toy's r Us (cheepest local retailer,right next to the vtech barbie machines!) at the end of the month.

your screenshots look just 'better' than others i'd seen, i mean its a pocket machine you want it to be functional, save the spinny cubes for your desktop computer.

Does running the chip at its full speed all the time cause any stability issues?

And are you thinking of any hardware 'pimps'? I've had a quick look in the modded eeepc forums and fitting a bluetooth dongle + 32 gb usb stick then upgrading the wireless to N grade with 3 antennas and still fitting it all in the pretty white case seems almost easy! I'm sure some on these boards posted up a pic of one not so long ago.

If you've already done this and i missed it, my bad... flame away!

TT

Yea, it looks clean you can tell alot of work went into it, add more progs spoonwep2 and spoonwpa etc. Ill check it when its final. Thanks man good work This post is for pure h@te

How long till you get this sorted, I know there are a lot of people very interested in it (Me included)

I also know you feel like giving up on it through lack of interest, but just because there are not lots of responses it does not mean that a lot of people are not eagerly waiting for it.

Come on guys, if you are interested please give the guy some support and show your interest.

Developer

I had to call in some outside help to get the menu issue straightened out. Once that is done I will be making a huge .lzm or script to take care of it all. Thanks for the support.

Hey, no problem.
    I like a lot of people have told you that they are interested in this, mostly on irc.
    I feel this could be a cool addition to BT in general and not just for the eeepc.

If you need any extra help, give me a shout.

Just burned his ISO

Ho-ho-ho-ly shit.

This is amazing. I'm getting my Eee PC 1000h tomorrow and I can't already can't wait to try out your final release! Good luck and keep it up. I'll even donate to the project if it makes you complete it faster.

hey pureh@te - definitely interested in seeing this also. i currently use backtrack on the EEEPC as live distro (not using changes for few reasons) so i don't want to have to recompile/run the script after every boot.

thanks for investing your time
    RxCoup - Killthepage

That looks awesome. When you removed the prompt and added auto-boot, are you booting into compiz experimental? Or is e17 a replacement of compiz?

Looks really sweet, im soon getting a eeepc and this would be a nice touch to use.

maybe we could get som more screens?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast