So I had a break from school and I decided to rebuild my eeepc. I had originally been booting from sdhc card with persistent changes but I decide to install bt3 to the internal hard disk because I rarely need to save any thing on the eeepc and if I do I can just scp it back to my home computer. Anyway so I fdisked to whole thing and started from scratch. I use a few other peoples work here on the forum but what I really wanted was a lighter window manager for the eeepc. One of my favorite ones is e17. You can read about it here.. http://www.enlightenment.org/
So I decide to add it to the eeepc. (I'm in the process of making a .lzm for e17 hopefully). So the funny part about it all is I spent a whole morning compiling all the e17 packages from source and getting it working and then I found a slackware script already made for it.
So heres what I did in this order...
1. Installed bt3 (cd version) to harddisk
heres my lilo file. I get rid of the prompt and time out thing because its silly if you only have 1 OS.
boot = /dev/hdc
vga = normal
image = /boot/vmlinuz
root = /dev/hdc1
label = Backtrack
2. Raised the clock speed of the eeepc
3. Got rid of all the kde crap....
*note there is actually more stuff you can get rid of but thats up to the individual user. If you type "pkgtool" in a shell you can go through and remove the stuff you dont need.
4. Now to add e17
bt~# tar xjvf slacke17/slacke17-20080504.tar.bz2
* note this will install the full version of e17. read carefully the README, README.e17, INSTALL, UPGRADING and NOT-E17 files because there are some other more minimal options.
5. Next I rmed the cpu package and the slake17 packages because I'm trying to conserve space.
6. Now this step is optional: I decide to put in the kernel sources because I may need them so...
bt~#lzm2dir kernel.lzm /
7. Next I grabbed the modified eeepc madwifi drivers by HD. Moore
8. Next I used this kids firewall he posted that was based of of mine and another one he found. I like to use other peoples stuff they worked on and I thought I'd try this. I just added it to rc.local right under the cpu stuff.
9. Next I fixed kismet for the eeepc..
change the source line.... source=madwifi_g,wifi0,madwifi
10. Next there was a hack on the eeepc forums to write tmp to ram to save our disk.
add these lines to the bottom..
tmpfs /tmp tmpfs defaults,noatime,mode=0777 0 0
tmpfs /var/tmp tmpfs defaults,noatime,mode=0777 0 0
tmpfs /var/log tmpfs defaults,noatime,mode=0777 0 0
11. Now the last thing is to fix it so startx will start e17
add this line...
dbus-launch --exit-with-session /usr/bin/enlightenment_start
Alright now reboot and when you type startx you should be looking at a e17 environment. I find it is way more responsive on a little machine like the eeepc..
*note: I'm still working on a .lzm of it all and importing the backtrack menu into e17 but I decide to go ahead and release this part. Special thanks to the slacke17 project for a great package.
Heres a screeny....