Thread: Gpu cuda

Just burned his ISO

Default Gpu cuda

I am currently looking into using pyrit with CUDA and am trying to decide on the hardware specs required for it.

In terms of NVIDIA Cards, whats better for CUDA, GTX295 or Tesla C1060. As well as CUDA, I was looking at SLI. Would the system run better if say I used 2 cards in SLI or better if they were used independently? Finally what is the best motherboard to allow further expansion of addition cards. I already have a motherboard which supports 2 GTX295 in SLI already so this has to be a must, but I also want it to support at least 2 preferably 4 GPU cards dedicated to CUDA.

Cheers

Developer

Default Re: Gpu cuda

There are very few boards that will run 4 double space cards. There is one amd board I know of and one i7 board (which is what I have). there is a msi board that claims to support 4 cards but a friend tried it and it would not boot with more than 2 cards. you have a lot more to consider as well. First of all power. The 295 gtx requires 300 watts under max load. So 300 x 4 is 1200 so you will need a second power supply. I currently have a 1200 watt and another 600 watt. Next is heat. Clearly you have no idea how hot 4 295 gtx cards running at max power is. I have them is an rack server case in which I removed the cd drive and all the hard dive bays and added 4 more fans plus the 4 that came in the case. It still runs hot. Finally if all you want to do is break passwords the 1060 is useless and over priced. Its just a 295 gtx with some more memorey and some better memory stack stuff.

Oh and lastly SLI is meaning less when it comes to most GPU tools. They will not work together. The tool has to be coded for multi GPU.

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: Gpu cuda

Would it not be best to use water cooling or some other method and attach heatsinks directly the 295's? Even if you weren't running them in SLI would pyrit and other tools allow you to "combine" the GPU's and utilise them or would you be forced to dedicate one GPU to each process?

I've seen a board which has 7 PCI-E 16x slots, for me that means my 2 x 295 for my gaming and the other slots for the CUDA, could this work. The board is:

EVGA Classified 4-Way SLI Intel X58 (Socket 1366) PCI-Express DDR3 Motherboard (170-BL-E762-A1) [170-BL-E762-A1]

Thoughts?
    The only problem I see is managing to fit all of the 295's in.