Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: getting a new laptop

Quote Originally Posted by jhonnycage828 View Post
    I think you are all missing the point.

He said he wants recommendations on a new laptop not how to make it boot.

I'd recommend something small and light. Linux doesn't need much hardware to run. I'd recommend your hardware thoughts be in the PCMCIA card and maybe a bit in the HD.

BT doesn't use enough RAM for you to really need to care unlike windoze....
    Why should he buy an entirely new box rather than learning how to make the one he has work? Not only will it broaden his knowledge-base, he will have a working B|T machine. The easier route isn't always the best....

"The goal of every man should be to continue living even after he can no longer draw breath."

~ShadowKill

Just burned his ISO

ShadowKill, as jonnycage has outlined, this thread is about a recommendation for a new laptop... Not about getting his old one to boot...

Frankly any computer which the USB ports are dead on, I would immediately get a new PC! USB ports are essential to me, and if they don't work. Then its time for a new computer

Also he said HE wasn't buying it, His boss is going to make the purchase, so its not like he would be spending anything at all. And new mini laptop's are nice and don't even cost that much!

Anyway I'm thinking of getting a laptop too, (I don't even have one to begin with so I can't say 'new')

I'm trying to decide which though. I'm leaning towards an Asus eee-pc (since a faster processor ATOM), but the HP mini note 2133 looks good as well. Though I don't like how the mouse buttons are on the left and right sides of the touch pad. You'd probably have to bring an optical mouse with you to not be annoyed by it...

HP mini note
    http://engadget.com/2008/04/08/hp-mi...ially-official

Asus EEE-pc
    http://eeepc.asus.com/us/product.htm

Quote Originally Posted by steve8x View Post
    ShadowKill, as jonnycage has outlined, this thread is about a recommendation for a new laptop... Not about getting his old one to boot...

Frankly any computer which the USB ports are dead on, I would immediately get a new PC! USB ports are essential to me, and if they don't work. Then its time for a new computer

Also he said HE wasn't buying it, His boss is going to make the purchase, so its not like he would be spending anything at all. And new mini laptop's are nice and don't even cost that much!

You need to read the OP's posts again. His personal laptop's USB ports are not dead, his work laptop's ports are dead. He wouldn't need to do a HD install and "ruin" the setup for his wife, and it would save his boss money, which I'm sure he/she would appreciate.... As I outlined, it would be far better for the OP to learn how to use his own equipment than to just buy a completely new laptop. If, however, that is his final decision, then so be it. But don't get on me for wanting people to actually learn rather than take the easy way out....

"The goal of every man should be to continue living even after he can no longer draw breath."

~ShadowKill

Just burned his ISO

Talking thread hijack, but...

Sorry for the thread hijack guys, but been looking at EEEPCs(the 900 specifically) to get BT3 running for pentesting and what have you. Just want something to only run BT3 and be portable(so no gaming, etc.. got a PC for that!) battery efficient/long lasting and not generate enough heat to boil an egg.

So, just wondering if an Asus EEEPC900-BK006[20GB (Intel Cel 900MH, 20GB (4GB built-in +16GB flash) SSD] for AU$449 is decently priced. Also, more importantly, whether the WAN card will be able to do monitoring/injection and whether it is atheros or some other junk.

Thanks

PS: Would've stuck link but haven't made enough posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchie View Post
    Sorry for the thread hijack guys, but been looking at EEEPCs(the 900 specifically) to get BT3 running for pentesting and what have you. Just want something to only run BT3 and be portable(so no gaming, etc.. got a PC for that!) battery efficient/long lasting and not generate enough heat to boil an egg.

So, just wondering if an Asus EEEPC900-BK006[20GB (Intel Cel 900MH, 20GB (4GB built-in +16GB flash) SSD] for AU$449 is decently priced. Also, more importantly, whether the WAN card will be able to do monitoring/injection and whether it is atheros or some other junk.

Thanks

PS: Would've stuck link but haven't made enough posts
    Not only are there numerous threads discussing this exact topic, but you did indeed hijack a 2 month old thread. Why not just create your own thread? Use the forum's search function and follow the rules please, for this is not a good way to start your stay here.

~ShadowKill

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12