Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: getting a new laptop

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default getting a new laptop

Ok, since I can not seem to get the BT3 to boot on my Dell Latitude D531, I am thinking of getting a new laptop.

Does anyone have any info on ASUS barebones? I could get the S96J (AS96J945PM2) for a real good price but how can I be sure that BT will boot on it?

I can not afford to buy another brand laptop

Any input appreciated.

How are you trying to boot BT ?, according to the laptop compatibility list:

Dell Latitude D531

- Boots Live and installs on hard drive perfectly (also dual boot -XP, BT).
    - Does not boot from CD ( stops at Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M )

Given the above: I would try disabling the floppy drive in the BIOS. Or attempt booting BT from a USB thumb drive. If you have the space, installing it on the hard drive should solve the problem. Buying a new laptop seems a bit extreme, without trouble shooting various methods first.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by MosGuy View Post
    I would try disabling the floppy drive in the BIOS.
    no such option as there is no floppy on the laptop.
    Or attempt booting BT from a USB thumb drive.
    tried that, no difference.
    If you have the space, installing it on the hard drive should solve the problem.
    I do not want to install it to the HDD as my wife will be using it a lot and basically I just prefer to leave the laptop clean.

And I will not be paying for the laptop myself actually. My work laptop is an old piece of junk with all the USB ports dead and same for the integrated Intel wifi chip. So I think it is about time I let the boss give me a go on a new laptop. However, the higher the cost of the new laptop, the harder it will be to actually get the green light for it. So I am trying to find a way to get the best bang for his buck

Just burned his ISO

Ok if you have no floppy its not that old it has to have the option to boot from CD or DVD otherwise it makes it to hard to format and reinstall the OS.You must go into the Bios and change the boot list.Should be CD/DVD first
    then Hard drive
    there might also be network not needed.All pc's have these options in the bios ALL.

I do not want to install it to the HDD as my wife will be using it a lot and basically I just prefer to leave the laptop clean.
    Why not buy an external hard drive or usb stick and boot from that? much cheaper than a new laptop!

Quote Originally Posted by calypso View Post
    Why not buy an external hard drive or usb stick and boot from that? much cheaper than a new laptop!
    Read his previous posts, the problem is exactly that he is not able to boot from USB as all the USB ports are dead, therefore an USB stick or external HDD connectable through USB is out of the question.
    Quote Originally Posted by thucar View Post
    ...My work laptop is an old piece of junk with all the USB ports dead and same for the integrated Intel wifi chip. So I think it is about time I let the boss give me a go on a new laptop.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by MosGuy View Post
    How are you trying to boot BT ?, according to the laptop compatibility list:

Dell Latitude D531

- Boots Live and installs on hard drive perfectly (also dual boot -XP, BT).
    - Does not boot from CD ( stops at Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M )

Given the above: I would try disabling the floppy drive in the BIOS. Or attempt booting BT from a USB thumb drive. If you have the space, installing it on the hard drive should solve the problem. Buying a new laptop seems a bit extreme, without trouble shooting various methods first.
    Hi,

I was the poster who mentioned "- Does not boot from CD ( stops at Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M )" - It was a while ago..... :>

I found a solution.
    1) Boot from the CD
    2) Highlight "BT3 Text Mode Frame Buffer"
    3) Press Tab
    4) add -> nolapic
    5) Press enter
    6) Log in with root and toor
    7) startx

Now that your in, you might notice that the wifi card is not detected..... Looking into this now. Might just be easier to use an external card though...

Quote Originally Posted by rrichmond View Post
    Hi,

I was the poster who mentioned "- Does not boot from CD ( stops at Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M )" - It was a while ago..... :>

I found a solution.
    1) Boot from the CD
    2) Highlight "BT3 Text Mode Frame Buffer"
    3) Press Tab
    4) add -> nolapic
    5) Press enter
    6) Log in with root and toor
    7) startx

Now that your in, you might notice that the wifi card is not detected..... Looking into this now. Might just be easier to use an external card though...
    Note that this has no affect on uniprocessor setups....

"The goal of every man should be to continue living even after he can no longer draw breath."

~ShadowKill

I think you are all missing the point.

He said he wants recommendations on a new laptop not how to make it boot.

I'd recommend something small and light. Linux doesn't need much hardware to run. I'd recommend your hardware thoughts be in the PCMCIA card and maybe a bit in the HD.

BT doesn't use enough RAM for you to really need to care unlike windoze....

Quote Originally Posted by jhonnycage828 View Post
    I think you are all missing the point.

He said he wants recommendations on a new laptop not how to make it boot.

I'd recommend something small and light. Linux doesn't need much hardware to run. I'd recommend your hardware thoughts be in the PCMCIA card and maybe a bit in the HD.

BT doesn't use enough RAM for you to really need to care unlike windoze....
    Why should he buy an entirely new box rather than learning how to make the one he has work? Not only will it broaden his knowledge-base, he will have a working B|T machine. The easier route isn't always the best....

"The goal of every man should be to continue living even after he can no longer draw breath."

~ShadowKill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast