Thread: Unusual use of various wifi tools

Just burned his ISO

Default Unusual use of various wifi tools

Hello! I've come here to ask for a little help with a project I'm working on. I've used backtrack for pentesting my own network a few times, and couldn't think of anywhere else to ask about this.

I am trying to get live video out of a race car during an event in a couple weeks. The idea is to use a dual core atom box, and a 1w wifi amplifier. To make the connection more robust and to eliminate error checking I want to use wifitap to inject the video from the car, without associating. Im going to use VLC UDP multicast. On the receiving end, I want to use an AP to collect the packets, and forward them using iptables to the local/RV network. I might try to use UDP lite to try to collect damaged packets, if I have time to get it working.

Losing some frames of video is no problem, if it means the connection is at least a little reliable. Can anyone suggest any better tools, potential problems, anything really? The AP doesn't need to be in monitor mode if the broadcasts are directed at it right?

Thanks,

Cameron

Default Re: Unusual use of various wifi tools

You'd be better off going to one of the many wireless video forums out there to ask this question.

Developer

This has nothing to do with backtrack.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by lastelement21 View Post
    Hello! I've come here to ask for a little help with a project I'm working on. I've used backtrack for pentesting my own network a few times, and couldn't think of anywhere else to ask about this.

I am trying to get live video out of a race car during an event in a couple weeks. The idea is to use a dual core atom box, and a 1w wifi amplifier. To make the connection more robust and to eliminate error checking I want to use wifitap to inject the video from the car, without associating. Im going to use VLC UDP multicast. On the receiving end, I want to use an AP to collect the packets, and forward them using iptables to the local/RV network. I might try to use UDP lite to try to collect damaged packets, if I have time to get it working.

Losing some frames of video is no problem, if it means the connection is at least a little reliable. Can anyone suggest any better tools, potential problems, anything really? The AP doesn't need to be in monitor mode if the broadcasts are directed at it right?

Thanks,

Cameron
    I agree with pureh@te that this has nothing to do with Backtrack. But I will point out this to you. Just because the car is using 2.4ghz to transmit video doesn't mean it's using Wifi. It very well could be an analog 2.4ghz transmission. Have you actually verified that they're using Wifi?
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Just burned his ISO

i Have a few little RC toys with cams that i have adapted. i have wifi on a triblade chopper i was able to take apart a cell phone for the wifi card runs real nice. (no injection) i get about 1.5hrs a charge way longer then the craft itself. i run a micro pc in my belt for the home base and have used ettercap to put the video at the top of all the pages pulled up online. what i'm trying to say is save your self some time and just work on the networking and if its a high end craft components you add can hurt balance. at this moment im working war driving by RC chopper care of Backtrack 4 via kismit on a 280ux Its just sack ripping to crash if you know what i mean.

Just burned his ISO

Yes, I realize this doesnt have to do with backtrack, but it does have to do with combining some of the tools inside it. I didn't ask how to set up VLC... thats well beyond the scope of this forum, and I would be silly to ask that here. A wireless video forum wouldn't be appropriate because the questions I am asking here are about the wifi connection specifically. I am asking here because some members of this forum have a strong understanding of the way 802.11 works.

@Striker: This isn't for someone else's car, this is for a car that I am working on. We want to use wifi because we already have lots of components lying around for it.

The basic questions I have are:
    1) Will this even work? Can monitor mode data be collected and used outside of packet analyzers? Will it even be possible to forward it to the APs ethernet network?
    2) Will the loss of packets be too great? How much packet retransmission occurs normally with a good signal? Will disabling error correction/retransmission just completely break it even if the signal is strong?

Just burned his ISO

Lightbulb Re: Unusual use of various wifi tools

The basic questions I have are:
    1) Will this even work? Can monitor mode data be collected and used outside of packet analyzers? Will it even be possible to forward it to the APs ethernet network?
    2) Will the loss of packets be too great? How much packet retransmission occurs normally with a good signal? Will disabling error correction/retransmission just completely break it even if the signal is strong?[/QUOTE]

1) Yes it will work if you work it.
    2) The loss of data only has to do with the way YOU send and YOU recieve the data. if you are trying to do a mass broadcast and everything is legal stream it to yourself first then from there route it as you see fit.
    Like i said before it all come's down to your time and your money etc... ..a RC car and a cracked 3G phone broadcasting video chat through wifi and some one to sit in the middle with one of the many Backtrack 4 tools 150 bucks and you up and running. you seem to be looking at this way to hard or maybe your just now starting to look at it.