Thread: hp 530 notebook support

Default hp 530 notebook support

hi, ive just purchased the hp 530 notebook and ive heard that the broadcom driver for this is supported in bt... can anyone verify this and is there any tutorial on how i can bring my card into monitor mode for example what would i type in a command shell to bring up the braodcom card in my notebook ? thanks in advance
    You can learn more from other peoples mistakes than you can of your own

Quote Originally Posted by fido13uk View Post
    hi, ive just purchased the hp 530 notebook and ive heard that the broadcom driver for this is supported in bt... can anyone verify this and is there any tutorial on how i can bring my card into monitor mode for example what would i type in a command shell to bring up the braodcom card in my notebook ? thanks in advance
    Which is the exact model of the broadcom chipset, as not all broadcom cards are supported, for example bcm4306 or bcm4318? To check if the card is supported use the iwconfig command to list all recognized wireless cards in BT.

If the card is supported you can bring it into monitor mode using the following command:
    Code:
    airmon-ng start eth1
    The above command is assuming that the wireless interface is listed as eth1.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

thx for the swift reply tron broadcom 802.11b/g is all that is listed in windows but i havnt tried it in backtrack yet... i was asking because someone mentioned to me that the HP 530 is supported without any extra work.. however my friend has the same model and said that he typed iwconig into a shell in bt2 and it didnt recognise any wireless devices at all im confused..
    You can learn more from other peoples mistakes than you can of your own

Quote Originally Posted by fido13uk View Post
    thx for the swift reply tron broadcom 802.11b/g is all that is listed in windows but i havnt tried it in backtrack yet... i was asking because someone mentioned to me that the HP 530 is supported without any extra work.. however my friend has the same model and said that he typed iwconig into a shell in bt2 and it didnt recognise any wireless devices at all im confused..
    First of all both you and your friend should be using BT3F as it has better support for broadcom cards and otherwise is more up to date as well. I do not know who has told you that HP 530 is fully supported out of the box but after some googling it seems like your laptop uses the BCM94311 chipset which is not supported by BT3F by default. I do however believe that it is possible to get it to work by upgrading the kernel and using the b43 drivers instead of the bcm43xx drivers included in BT, but this is no easy task for someone new to linux.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.