Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Linux distro do you use?

Default Which Linux distro do you use?

As you guessed, this is a poll
    What is your main linux distro? why?
    Do you use more than one? why?
    Also, you can speak about what you where using in the past, and what made you choose the one you are using now instead of the rest.
    I go first
    I mostly use backtrack, "yes yes i know, it's a pen-distro live cd", but it also has way too many "general use" apps/tools. I never liked "apt-get" type of software (although it can be handy), I prefer to do it the old way. Also my machine is kind off old and BT boots/runs sooo faster than other distros. My daily routine involves python, web browsing, irc and more. I haven't find any reason to install another distro yet (except gtk, kernel '?', and some out of date libraries (which makes sense for that kind of distro)), but I want to erase my windows installation for ever (no more monthly installs, daily updates) and change to nice, recent Linux distribution...
    -Google is watching you

-June 1, 2001, Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer: "Linux is a cancer that attaches itself in an intellectual property sense to everything it touches."

Suggestions are very much dependent upon the uses you wish to put the OS to...........

Here's a bit of fun that may even prove useful to you!?

The Linux Chooser Quiz

Anyway, if you primarily want to learn Linux and not a "distro specific" way of doing things, then Slackware is the way to go, imho

i am a big fan of archlinux.

if you want quick out of the box linux, it's ubuntu.

arch linux all teh way.

Quote Originally Posted by aggtrfrad View Post
    As you guessed, this is a poll
    What is your main linux distro? why?
    Do you use more than one? why?
    Also, you can speak about what you where using in the past, and what made you choose the one you are using now instead of the rest.
    I go first
    I mostly use backtrack, "yes yes i know, it's a pen-distro live cd", but it also has way too many "general use" apps/tools. I never liked "apt-get" type of software (although it can be handy), I prefer to do it the old way. Also my machine is kind off old and BT boots/runs sooo faster than other distros. My daily routine involves python, web browsing, irc and more. I haven't find any reason to install another distro yet (except gtk, kernel '?', and some out of date libraries (which makes sense for that kind of distro)), but I want to erase my windows installation for ever (no more monthly installs, daily updates) and change to nice, recent Linux distribution...
    These kinds of question have no meaning, and and the responses have little value.

To determine the OS/distro, you must first define the job, then you must look at the software, and then the hardware. Finally, you choose the OS based upon those criteria. Anyone who chooses a single distro for every job is a fool, and is no different than a carpenter who tries to drive a screw or cut a board solely relying on a hammer as his only tool.

Aside from "main distro" being too specific -as it depends on the job- answering this would also mean narrowing it down to one system. On a typical day, I work on two servers, two desktops and three laptops. The all have different OSs, as they all have different functions, software, and hardware. I wouldn't run the server OSs on the laptops or desktops, nor think of the inverse.

Right now, BT3 is the best distro for Pen Testing. That's all it does, and it stays on the Pen Test laptop.

There is no one "best" distro or OS. By a rough count, I've worked on about 30 different OSs in the last 35+ years. None were perfect, but most fit the job they were chosen for reasonably well.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post

There is no one "best" distro or OS. By a rough count, I've worked on about 30 different OSs in the last 3500+ years. None were perfect, but most fit the job they were chosen for reasonably well.
    Fixed that for ya.

Mac OSX (Open BSD with a pretty window manager)
    Ubuntu
    Slackware (Back|Track too)
    Open BSD
    Windows Xp (server 2003 on the eeePc)

In that order, for me at least.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Mac OSX (Open BSD with a pretty window manager)
    under statement ^^^
    dd if=/dev/swc666 of=/dev/wyze

Quote Originally Posted by wyze View Post
    under statement ^^^
    Well, for the most part, as long as you don't look at all that closed source stuff.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Fixed that for ya.
    Well, my first gui was hieroglyphics.

Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

thanks for the replies.
    But the main reason i made this thread is cause i was wondering which distro you guys use mostly (General IT Discussion), not for getting help to choose
    For me it turned out to be Debian and Slackware, I'll use both and maybe choose one or keeps using both depending on what I'm doing
    -Google is watching you

-June 1, 2001, Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer: "Linux is a cancer that attaches itself in an intellectual property sense to everything it touches."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast