Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acer Aspire One Broken After Using BT3 USB?

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Exclamation Acer Aspire One Broken After Using BT3 USB?

Hi there,

I hope someone can help me here because I'm really stuck..
    A week ago I bought a acer aspire one umpc and today I decided to test it with backtrack 3.
    I downloaded the usb version and plugged my memory stick into my aspire one.
    I entered the command for auto config my graphics card which seems to went ok.
    Then I started backtrack and it showed me an error message saying my graphics card cannot handle it.
    I rebooted my laptop and it doesn't do anything anymore. the power led goes green but that's it. nothing on the screen, no way to get in the boot...
    Any ideas?

What video card do you have inside the lappy and did you make sure that you don't have the usb drive plugged in?

Just burned his ISO

I got a Intel GMA 950 video card and I had the usb plugged in because I was running backtrack from usb drive.. didn't took it out

Pull the battery for a few minutes and boot it without the usb stick.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Just burned his ISO

Lightbulb ACER aspire one - BT3 USB boot, display settings

The video memory in acer aspire one is too low (around 8MB) and so u need to follow the following steps:

1. Format and remake the USB drive.
    2. In the options, where you will be asked whether you want KDE, FLUX, etc. choose VSA/VGA mode.
    3. Your display setting would be asked.
    4. Write "scan"..your screen will flicker and you ll get a similar screen asking you to enter the screen resoluion again.
    5. Select option 4 and you ll boot into graphical mode of BT3

Njoy!!!!

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by djkrayon View Post
    The video memory in acer aspire one is too low (around 8MB) and so u need to follow the following steps:

1. Format and remake the USB drive.
    2. In the options, where you will be asked whether you want KDE, FLUX, etc. choose VSA/VGA mode.
    3. Your display setting would be asked.
    4. Write "scan"..your screen will flicker and you ll get a similar screen asking you to enter the screen resoluion again.
    5. Select option 4 and you ll boot into graphical mode of BT3

Njoy!!!!
    All of this would be lovely to test but the acer isn't showing me anything anymore other then a green power-on led and a spinning fan.
    I think trying to load backtrack blew up the tiny 8mb graphics card or the motherboard is fried which tend to happen very often with new acer laptops.

Because there's nothing much I can do I contacted the online shop I bought the laptop from a week ago because within 7 days I'm allowed to return it if damaged.

I have an Aspire One, had it since release day and use it with BT3 USB no problems at all.

Just burned his ISO

While I was searching the net for a solution I found hundreds of other people with the same problem. Don't think backtrack is the cause. Because after I run autoconfig for my videocard the laptop still worked. Then it booted with startx and showing me an error my videocard can't handle the GUI which is correct because it couldn't handle it.
    Then I was unable to reboot, everything was stuck.. I had to hold the power button for 30 seconds to get it off to never go on again..

So it locks solid? (remove power, wait, reboot, as suggested)

But, I am still unclear about rebooting in the "normal" way, i.e. not a USB boot....
    I assume that this still works OK?

Just burned his ISO

The laptop doesn't boot at all, not with usb and not without it.
    Only shows me a power led. Already removed batterij and power, didn't try to take the batterij of the mainboard because I can't send it back to the store if I'll open it up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast