Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: setting up a laptop to act as a wireless router

Just burned his ISO

Default setting up a laptop to act as a wireless router

Is it possible to set up a laptop to act as a wireless router?
    I have been asked to show students how to make a wireless connection on their laptops. We do not have access to any wired or wireless connections in the class room. So I want to use my laptop running backtrack to act as a wireless router for the lesson. I simply want the students to connect to a wireless connection, maybe browse a webpage (located on the laptop) to confirm the connection is working and then sign out.
    A non secure and password protected connection would be great.

Thanks

why would you want to use backtrack as an instance for wireless router? I am sure there are at least 10 other distros out there that can be setup as wireless AP/router which may save you a hell lot of time mucking around with a security distro just to make it become wireless router.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by hatake_kakashi View Post
    why would you want to use backtrack as an instance for wireless router? I am sure there are at least 10 other distros out there that can be setup as wireless AP/router which may save you a hell lot of time mucking around with a security distro just to make it become wireless router.
    I am using backtrack since I need a distro that runs off a cd and it supports my wireless card IPW3495. Backtrack is one of the few distros I have found that will do both. However, if there are other distros I would be happy to try them out.

The other issue is that I don't have an internet connection so in addition to working as a router the laptop also needs to work a web server.

I was thinking that backtrack might have software that would spoof a wireless router using an ordinary laptop.

Just burned his ISO

I was always of the impresion that you needed 2 NIC cards in order to act as a router. I do not believe ethernet cards to be of a full duplex configuration they are only set to be half duplex, which would explain the need for 2 NICs (unless they have new NICs out that are full duplex, I don't know). B/c of having multiple user logging into the laptop you would need at least 1 NIC card dedicated to those transmissions. You could set the laptop up in ad-hoc and let ppl connect that way, but I believe the connection may be slow.
    good luck
    Mega

Have you checked out any others yet?

CD Router may be of interest

There are others that I have seen but cannot recall now.
    Maybe someone else has a suggestion?

I have also seen similar examples developed specifically as "virtual appliances" - probably on the vmware site....... Maybe another avenue for you to investigate?

Just burned his ISO

Thanks for link. I will check it out.

However, I may not have phrased my question right, I guess what I am looking for is more of a wireless server then just a router, ie I want to be able to set up my laptop in a room without any network connections and have my students connect to the laptop as if it was a wireless router connecting to the internet. The laptop would also provide a web page for the students to view just to test the connection.

Quote Originally Posted by kfgen View Post
    Thanks for link. I will check it out.

However, I may not have phrased my question right, I guess what I am looking for is more of a wireless server then just a router, ie I want to be able to set up my laptop in a room without any network connections and have my students connect to the laptop as if it was a wireless router connecting to the internet. The laptop would also provide a web page for the students to view just to test the connection.
    Well if that's all you want, that's fairly easy. You could even do it with windows.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Just burned his ISO

you can use windows..it is much easier...
    just setup an ad-hoc network...and let your students connect...
    then thats it...dont how in BT3

im a noob..hihihi..

check out the softap thread, it's been done succesfully

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast