Thread: Not capturing wpa handshake using r8187

Just burned his ISO

Default Not capturing wpa handshake using r8187

Hi,

As one might gather from the title I'm having trouble capturing any WPA handshakes. I'm using the Alfa AWUS036H usb wifi card and have downloaded and installed the latest patch for the driver it uses, the r8187. Yet I'm still having no luck. Is there something I'm missing???
    My hunch is there's a prob with the driver.....just a hunch

The process I've been using is (from the top of my head):
    airodump-ng -c 11 -w out wlan0
    aireplay-ng -a MYROUTERSMAC -c MYTOWERSPCSMAC -0 5 wlan0
    aircrack-ng -w wordlist.txt -a 2 out-01.cap

aircrack picks up the encrypted packets yet the handshake count stays at nill

*When running aireplay-ng I get heaps of ack's.
    **there's no issue with signal power, I'm sitting between the two

Should I be using an analyzer like wireshark to try solve the problem??

Cheers in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by armand91 View Post
    As one might gather from the title I'm having trouble capturing any WPA handshakes. I'm using the Alfa AWUS036H usb wifi card and have downloaded and installed the latest patch for the driver it uses, the r8187. Yet I'm still having no luck. Is there something I'm missing???
    There is no need to download or install any additional drivers in case you are using BT3F, as the card will work perfectly out of the box.

Quote Originally Posted by armand91 View Post
    aircrack picks up the encrypted packets yet the handshake count stays at nill

*When running aireplay-ng I get heaps of ack's.
    You seem to be confusing the process of cracking WEP with WPA as there is no need to fake-authenticate with the AP to capture the handshake. Simply make sure that you are actually using WPA encryption and that the client also is connected to the AP through a wireless connection. You could try manually disconnecting the client from the AP and check if you can intercept the handshake when you re-connect. It could also be a good idea to use wireshark and analyse the packets that you are able to receive to check if you are collecting even part of the 4-way handshake or nothing at all.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Just burned his ISO

Ok thanks, I will try a manual re-connect and use wireshark to look for any handshakes. Any results I'll post up for others.