Thread: Where is the kernel?

Default Where is the kernel?

I've recently started with backtrack tools having some background with Linux in the past with web developing but I'm having difficulty getting my head around the kernel location...

At the moment, I am using my internal wireless adapter on my Toshiba Equium laptop that is the iwl3945. I have successfully cracked WEP on my own AP (using ipwraw drivers) for the first time and now I have the bug! So, I am going to purchase the Proxim Orinoco Gold 8470 card tomorrow and I am assuming I will be using the madwifi drivers with it. So I've had a poke around and I couldn't find the madwifi drivers on my installation (I may be looking in the wrong place(?)) so I downloaded them and tried teh make clean command but it fails telling me to...

bt madwifi-0.9.4 # make clean
    /bin/sh: line 0: cd: /lib/modules/2.6.21.5/build: No such file or directory
    Makefile.inc:66: *** /lib/modules/2.6.21.5/build is missing, please set KERNELPATH. Stop.
    bt madwifi-0.9.4 #

So I guess I need to tell it where the kernel is - but I don't know where to look. I've tried /boot/vmlinuz but that is incorrect.

Maybe the madwifi drivers are already installed?

Developer

The madwifi drivers are in bt3. No need to install any thing. Your lkernel is in /usr/src/ (name of source) and /usr/src/linux which is a symlink to the first file. What you are missing is the sources. The are available on the backtrack wiki but you dont need them just to run a atheros card.