Thread: Is there a way to configure a router to forward icmp to an internal ip?

Default Is there a way to configure a router to forward icmp to an internal ip?

Here's my scenario. I have a home network with a router and 4 puters behind it. I work from a hotel during the week. I want to be able to ping a computer in my home network from a computer at the hotel. From my understanding ping requests are icmp protocol. So how would I configure my router to forward an icmp request to an internal ip? I mean which port does icmp travel on by default? Or I could just use a manual ping by using

ping x.x.x.x:PORT

Also, I set the setting /proc/sys/net/ivp4/ignore_echo_requests_all to 0 so my target computer's iptables are configured correctly to recieve that ping. Then I would just go to my router's html page and configure it to forward to an internal ip. However, on the port forwarding page, only tcp and udp protocols are supported. So I'm guessing that wouldn't work. Someone told me to enable DMZ but that would expose all of my ports to the internet. Any ideas on how I can make this happen? Or is it impossible? Maybe I need to read up more on how icmp works, but I would think icmp could travel on any port. Isn't icmp a supported protocol of tcp protocol? Like wouldnt' they work hand in hand? I remember seeing icmp in the network layer of the OSI model, hehe.

Good friend of the forums

* you need a real router NOT a lame linksys/netgear etc ..
    * ICMP is a protocall it does not run over UDP or TCP
    * if what you are trying to do is work from home use ( logmein.com ) its idiot proof and free

Yeah nah just experimenting. I'd use ssh if I wanted to work from home. Yeah my router's a linksys. What kind of router would you recommend? I want wireless with a few wired ports as well. Also, if it supports band N, all the better.

Heard that my router, Linksys WRT54GL, has the ability to run 3rd party firmware like tomato and dd-wrt. Just posting that for others to see. Thanks all.

Developer

Quote Originally Posted by drakoth777 View Post
    Heard that my router, Linksys WRT54GL, has the ability to run 3rd party firmware like tomato and dd-wrt. Just posting that for others to see. Thanks all.
    I run 3 wrt54gLs all with openwrt firmware. It is a excellent platform for 3rd party firmware.

When I install the openwrt firmware, do I need to setup my whole network again? Like running that linksys setup to go from modem-computer to modem-router-several computers?

I was going to say instead of pinging it open SSH on a random port or something, that way if you can get to the logon you can get in.

Also there is a chance the place you are staying blocks all icmp outbound at their place.

As for the router side to it, what about a dedicated modem (not router, not wireless, not router) and put that into an old box with smoothwall, that should allow all traffic in and still give you flexibility. Dont ask me how to set it up lol, but the way I see it that should let you experiment
    wtf?