Thread: Apt Get Update with Vmware

Default Apt Get Update with Vmware

Hello i have a quick question. Since i im using vmware on iso backtrack4 when i do a apt-get update or a install does this go on my laptop hard drive or does the updates go inside the iso of backtrack 4

thanks
    BM

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Default Re: Apt Get Update with Vmware

Well unless you have backtrack set up to boot from the iso each and every time then you should have a virtual hard disk that resides somewhere on an actual HDD (this may be the one in your laptop).
    So in that case when you upgrade then the data will be saved on this virtual drive. The drive size can either be set with the vmware software and or the .vmx file.
    You should read up on how virtual machines works so you have a better understanding of it.

Great thanks duh lol lmao i forgot i set up a 30g virtual drive ... thanks for reminding me

Not sure if i can ask this here but i just made a new user name and password and gave it all permission instead of admin. Now im unable to access my wifi internet..

/etc/init.d/wicd start

in root accest i can access the internet with those commands..Now when i log into another user those commands dont work anymore. I cant figure out what i did wrong. Can you help on this

thanks
    Last edited by lupin; 02-16-2010 at 06:44 AM. Reason: Merging...

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Mike View Post
    Not sure if i can ask this here but i just made a new user name and password and gave it all permission instead of admin. Now im unable to access my wifi internet..

/etc/init.d/wicd start

in root accest i can access the internet with those commands..Now when i log into another user those commands dont work anymore. I cant figure out what i did wrong. Can you help on this

thanks
    Root privileges are required to run that command. Setup sudo and run it using that, or su to root before running the command.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Quote Originally Posted by lupin View Post
    Root privileges are required to run that command. Setup sudo and run it using that, or su to root before running the command.
    follow my tutorial @ xX_Spiidey_Xx's BT4 Tuts: Creating a privileged user in BackTrack 4 to create a privileged user.
    thou shalt treat all computers as thou wouldst treat thyself, for thou art the creator of thine own problems.