Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I change the sound device?

Default How do I change the sound device?

I plugged in my Logitech USB Headset. It's detected as another sound driver, but how do I switch sound drivers from my internal sound card to the USB Headset?

I tried system--settings--sounds & multimedia--sound system

but USB Logitech doesn't come out as a sound device.

eXoskeleton

Quote Originally Posted by drakoth777 View Post
    I plugged in my Logitech USB Headset. It's detected as another sound driver, but how do I switch sound drivers from my internal sound card to the USB Headset?

I tried system--settings--sounds & multimedia--sound system

but USB Logitech doesn't come out as a sound device.
    Apparently audio and sound devices / compatibilities are not a priority issue in backtrack since it is a pen-testing distro not a multimedia-centre-distro.

p.s. I wish there was 5.1 support as well but the last time I checked (bt3beta) nothing like that was implemented. But I have to agree with the devs, that there are more important things to look at...

i remember playing around with my sounddrivers i think the command i used was "alsaconfig" if someone else could please confirm that, that would be great

Developer

The command is alsaconfig however in order for it to work the drivers must be loaded or built into the kernel. Most of the drivers are modules so you would have to figure out the module name for your sound card and make sure its loaded with lsmod. If its not you do a modprobe (driver name). With out the name of your sound card there is not a lot else I can do.

By the way anyone who is dying to have 5.1 support (which is a myth anyway because most music nowadays is barely stereo) can just do a quick rebuild of their kernel to add it.

The name of the sound card would be
    Logitech USB Headset, it's its own sound card I believe. I remember when it worked in fedora, the device was called Logitech USB Headset.

The module that BT3 loaded for this sound device is

snd_usb_audio, but obviously it doesn't work. Do I need to remove the module for my internal sound card so they don't interefere? I have the basic AC ' 97 / HD Audio mobo soundcard.
    I tried alsaconfig with that snd_usb_audio module loaded into memory and alsaconf didn't detect it. It just detected my internal sound card and a legacy one.

How would I manually mount a cdrom? What's the filesystem on it?
    mkdir /mnt/cdrom
    mount -t iso /dev/hda /mnt/cdrom

How would one rebuild the kernel to have 5.1 sound?

Developer

the first thing to do is check your kernel and see if you sound card is included.

so lets see the output of this....

pwnsauce ~ # cat /usr/src/linux/.config | grep SND_USB_AUDIO
    # CONFIG_SND_USB_AUDIO is not set
    pwnsauce ~ #

bt ~ # cat /usr/src/linux/.config | grep SND_USB_AUDIO
    CONFIG_SND_USB_AUDIO=m
    bt ~ #

Do you think that legacy driver that alsaconf picked up would be the usb logitech headset? no right? The other sound card that alsaconf was hda-intel but that's the onboard audio.

Developer

Quote Originally Posted by drakoth777 View Post
    bt ~ # cat /usr/src/linux/.config | grep SND_USB_AUDIO
    CONFIG_SND_USB_AUDIO=m
    bt ~ #

Do you think that legacy driver that alsaconf picked up would be the usb logitech headset? no right? The other sound card that alsaconf was hda-intel but that's the onboard audio.
    So that means a module is present and loaded. The only thing I can think of is 1) thats the wrong module for your sound card or 2) you dont have alsa working properly.
    try alsamixer in a shell and make sure its not just muted. I think maybe it is by default.

Hehe, yeah it's there in alsamixer. However, I can't raise the volume on it. It says 00 volume and the 00 is highlighted in green. I just can't seem to raise the volume at all. Also, there's no vertical bar that would reach to 100, like on the others. It's just a square around the 00.

Also, just curious what's the difference between /usr/src/linux/.config and /usr/src/linux/config ?

I hit m to mute/unmute it and still I can't raise the volume for it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast