Thread: how do I detect wifi card that is in monitor mode ?

Default how do I detect wifi card that is in monitor mode ?

I sometimes change my router from wpa to wep (as one of my old laptops only uses wep.) I know wep can be cracked pretty easily. So when I am using wep on my old laptop, can I detect if another wifi card is monitoring or capturing my packets ? I know kismet can detect rogue access points, but can it detect a wifi card in monitor mode ?

You can not detect a card or device that is monitor mode and only sniffing passively. It accepts data in but no packets are sent out.

If the attacker starts injecting packets on the same card to crack your wep encryption that is detectable. A wireless IDS could detect this activity i believe.

The PDF at the link below has a small section entitled "Wireless Attacks Detection Techniques".
    http://berry.cpe.mut.ac.th/cpen1331/...%20Attacks.pdf

How come your laptop can't connect using WPA?
    RxCoup - Killthepage

Quote Originally Posted by marten:10 View Post
    How come your laptop can't connect using WPA?
    I have an old wifi card in my old laptop. The wifi card supports wep, but not wpa.

Quote Originally Posted by sylvestor2002 View Post
    I have an old wifi card in my old laptop. The wifi card supports wep, but not wpa.
    That's why they make cat-5 cables.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69