Thread: Kernel.lzm problem with BT3 Live CD

Just burned his ISO

Default Kernel.lzm problem with BT3 Live CD

I downloaded the Kernel.lzm module from this url :

offensive-security.com/kernel.lzm

When I tried installing using the lzm2dir command I get this error :

Code:
    write_file : failed to write to data block (some hex value here)
    I don't remember that hex value . But if its required to debug then I'll post it as well . So what's the reason for the above error message ?

Also , why do we need this kernel.lzm file ? If it was so essential then I think it would have been better to include it in the default iso available for download on the site . Or was it due to its big size which probably wouldn't have fit onto a single disc .

Developer

I guess you didn't read this... http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=18997 even though its a sticky in the backtrack 3 how to section.

Also , why do we need this kernel.lzm file ? If it was so essential then I think it would have been better to include it in the default iso available for download on the site . Or was it due to its big size which probably wouldn't have fit onto a single disc .
    Its because they were making room for as many tools as possible while keeping it live cd size. The kernel files are not needed onve the kernel is built on a livecd. The devs make them available so that all the people that want a hard drive install or to add more .lzms or whatever can build packages against the custom bt kernel.

Download the USB version - it includes kernel.lzm.

Just burned his ISO

Well I have already read that thread . My question was that why do I get that error while installing it ?

I used the same command as mentioned in that thread too .

Code:
    lzm2dir kernel.lzm /
    But it shows an error :

Code:
    write_file : failed to write to data block (some hex value here)
    I hope the query is clear now .

Just burned his ISO

hi, i'm having the exact same problem that ShadowFlash haves.
    And yes I DID read the how to to install Kernel sources, like ShadowFlash did also...
    @Pureh@te: have you problems with reading??
    I downloaded the Kernel.lzm module from this url :

offensive-security.com/kernel.lzm

When I tried installing using the lzm2dir command I get this error :
    I guess you didn't read this... hxxp://forums.remote-exploit.org/backtrack3-howtos/18997-how-install-backtrack-3-kernel-sources.html even though its a sticky in the backtrack 3 how to section.
    The only thing thats is written there is the
    Code:
    lzm2dir kernel.lzm /
    Like shadowFlash said before
    Well I have already read that thread . My question was that why do I get that error while installing it ?

I used the same command as mentioned in that thread too .
    I also followed the steps exactly like in the HOW TO, with no success!
    I've downloaded the file in another distro, moved with usb and copied to live root folder, and tried to execute it from there with no luck, also tried directly from usb (not boot usb live) with no success. I've downloaded the file two times already.
    I didn't downloaded directly from bt3 because i can't connect to my wpa2psk with TKIP+AES encryption, even following xploutz HOW TO.
    Must i download kernel.lzm from bt3 livecd??
    i would appreciate some help.
    Thanks

trefayne

I don't know if this will help you but I myself started using Vmware player and the BT3 Vmware image and stopped using LiveCD. I don't think you can extract files on the Live CD vesrion.