Thread: Hawking HWU8DD usb hi-gain g dish adapter

Hybrid View

Default Hawking HWU8DD usb hi-gain g dish adapter

The forum doesn't seem to clear on this so i hope this helps....

The HWU8DD Rev.B based on the zydas1211b chipset works out the box on BT3F/BT3B. Monitor,managed,injection all fine. it appears as eth1 (on my lappy anyway, similar on yours) and although Rev.B appears on the bottom of the unit and on the XP install disc bundled in the box it does not appear on the outside of the box itself..... a good guide seems to be the boxes with the 'vista ready' sticker are the rev.B models.

I also have the older version, the plain HWU8DD, with the zydas1211 chip, could never get it to work on BT2 or BT3B. If anyone wants me to test any alternate drivers on it just give me a shout.

I'm not sure on its exact power usage but i know i can run my HWU8DD and a 100m bluetooth dongle from a unpowered hub, not many usb wifi can do that..... i know my 2 linksys ones can't.

p.s. Can someone update the wiki with this one please? After playing with it all week i've found it to be the best usb wifi 'dongle' on sale near me, its only bad point is its size means laptop bags are out the question. I did try the wiki update but i'm having a lack of brain moment.....
    its late here and the horrible green/black/white of the wiki is stinging my eyes....

thanks, TT

Just burned his ISO

craaaaaap
    Ive just ordered one from ebay
    I pray to god it's the rev B one :'(

Dont know if this will affect you or not but my dish only goes to channel 11, I'm in the UK so can use 1-13. trying to find a way round it but been short on time recently....

As i said though the dish is excellent value, 2 of my friends now have them as well after seeing my one in action.

I'll post up a pic of my old dish that didn't work, took the dish of the top of the unit and pigtailed it to use with my pcmcia card...... waste not want not!

TT
    Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Just burned his ISO

I ordered this:
    cgi.ebay.ca/Hawking-HWU8DD-WiFi-802-11G-USB-Dish-Adapter_W0QQitemZ300200407985QQihZ020QQcategoryZ45 002QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZ p1638Q2em118Q2el1247

I can't find any info that expresses which model it is :/
    I messaged them twice and their supposed 24/7 service but got no reply.
    Can you see anything that I'm not seeing?

Just burned his ISO

Thumbs up I bought a Hawking HWU8DD Rev.B from Maplins Electronics

I decided to get one of these hi-gain adapters so I visited a Maplins Electronics store so I could check the revision, the only one's stocked are the revision B's. Search for 'Hawking HWU8DD' on the Maplin site. I contacted 2 stores and both had this in stock.

Someone already mentioned it, but I'll say it again, to tell if it's a revision B you need to look at the base of the device or the driver CD, it does not mention this on the box anywhere.

I have updated the wiki, I am sure you can get Rev.A to work.

I need to know the lsusb output of both Rev. A and Rev. B so that I could add them into wiki entries and possibly even the FCC ID.

I think getting Rev. A to work is a matter of getting the right firmware but I need those other information first.