Thread: IPv6 supported?

Just burned his ISO

Default IPv6 supported?

Greetings,

I'm tyring to run nmap -6 ... and am getting an "Address family not supported..." error message using BT3beta in a VMware installation and BT3final in VMware running from an ISO.

I'm (not ever so) sure I've had IPv6 in use on backtrack before, but now I definitely don't have an IPv6 address. The virtual NIC is bridged to the host OS NIC (running on XP SP2) which has IPv6 installed and the teredo client is running.

Have I gone mad or does backtrack not currently support IPv6?

If it does and I should have an IPv6 address, does anyone have any idea what might be causing my current lacking?

Cheers

It is supported, but disabled by default. I asked this question in the past, but knew how to enable it at the time. Look at
    http://forums.remote-exploit.org/sho...highlight=ipv6

Just burned his ISO

@armedpilot - I did search, but didn't find that little gem of wisdom so thank you for pointing me to it.

I see you never got an answer to that question, perhaps to prevent DNS AAAA lookups every time an A is required?

So anyway to enable IPv6 I replaced this:

alias net-pf-10 off
    alias ipv6 off

with this

alias net-pf-10 ipv6

in /etc/modprobe.d/ipv6 and rebooted. Seems to have worked nicely, so again, thanks.

or you can delete the enries. There are security implications for enabling IPv6, so that may be why it's disabled by default. Frequently, I find that some admins don't realize that IPv6 is enabled, harden the IPv4 bound services but not the IPv6 bound services ala ip6tables et al. Also performance is improved with it disabled, as you indicate.