Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: File permissions

  1. #1
    Just burned his ISO
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    5

    Default File permissions

    hi im new to linux and im using backtrack 3 usb

    i have a tew-424ub which has a rtl-8187b chipset i thought bt3 would have this alrdy installed but i guess not so im trying to manually put drivers in but everytime i try to make or install it says no such file or directory /lib/modules/kernel xxx/builds so i tryed to make folder builds and permission is denied i tryed to chmod thinking maybe write is the problem it said no command i thought chmod is a equipped command



    starting to luv linux reminds me of dos and commodore days

  2. #2
    Senior Member secure_it's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    在這兩者之間 BackTrack是4 FwdTrack4
    Posts
    854

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by Tampa2pac View Post
    hi im new to linux and im using backtrack 3 usb

    i have a tew-424ub which has a rtl-8187b chipset i thought bt3 would have this alrdy installed but i guess not so im trying to manually put drivers in but everytime i try to make or install it says no such file or directory /lib/modules/kernel xxx/builds so i tryed to make folder builds and permission is denied i tryed to chmod thinking maybe write is the problem it said no command i thought chmod is a equipped command



    starting to luv linux reminds me of dos and commodore days
    Follow this link and readme on that.

    http://www.datanorth.net/~cuervo/rtl8187b/

    this should solve your problem.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,008

    Default

    The reason that you are getting the error message is that you do not have the kernel headers needed to compile the source. The kernel headers have been stripped out of the live CD version of BT3 to make it small enough to fit onto a single CD, but can be downloaded at the following location:
    http://www.offensive-security.com/kernel.lzm

    Install using the following command:
    lzm2dir kernel.lzm /

    EDIT: Hmm.. After a re-read of the OP it seems I was getting a bit ahead of myself. Check secure_it's link instead as this problem should not be related to the kernel headers at all.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

  4. #4
    Senior Member secure_it's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    在這兩者之間 BackTrack是4 FwdTrack4
    Posts
    854

    Lightbulb

    Quote Originally Posted by =Tron= View Post
    The reason that you are getting the error message is that you do not have the kernel headers needed to compile the source. The kernel headers have been stripped out of the live CD version of BT3 to make it small enough to fit onto a single CD, but can be downloaded at the following location:
    http://www.offensive-security.com/kernel.lzm

    Install using the following command:
    lzm2dir kernel.lzm /

    EDIT: Hmm.. After a re-read of the OP it seems I was getting a bit ahead of myself. Check secure_it's link instead as this problem should not be related to the kernel headers at all.
    Tron he is using USB Version of BT3 I think.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,008

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by secure_it View Post
    Tron he is using USB Version of BT3 I think.
    Yeah I noticed that after re-reading his post and updated mine with the advice to check out the link you supplied instead. Got blinded by the word "kernel" in the posted error message I think.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

  6. #6
    Senior Member secure_it's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    在這兩者之間 BackTrack是4 FwdTrack4
    Posts
    854

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by =Tron= View Post
    Yeah I noticed that after re-reading his post and updated mine with the advice to check out the link you supplied instead. Got blinded by the word "kernel" in the posted error message I think.
    nothing like that.you are always good with your advices.

  7. #7
    Just burned his ISO
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    5

    Default

    i get this error everytime also im using a usb hdd now and if i add folders or files to bt3 they dont save ty for you help

    i do tar xvf to extract first then makedrv then i do wlan0up



    bt rtl8187b-modified # wlan0up
    insmod: error inserting 'ieee80211_crypt-rtl.ko': -1 Invalid module format
    insmod: error inserting 'ieee80211-rtl.ko': -1 Invalid module format
    insmod: error inserting 'r8187.ko': -1 Unknown symbol in module

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,008

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tampa2pac View Post
    i get this error everytime also im using a usb hdd now and if i add folders or files to bt3 they dont save ty for you help
    In order for the changes you make to be saved onto the USB stick you need to make sure that you use an USB with persistent changes installation. There are several excellent tutorials on how to properly configure this set-up posted on the forum.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

  9. #9
    Just burned his ISO
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    5

    Default

    ty for the help i figured it out i extracted the rtl8187b-modified to

    /lib/modules/2.6.21.5/build/drivers/net/wireless
    the i ran makedrv
    then i renamed ieee80211 folder to rtl_ieee80211
    then i deleted folders rtl-ieee80211 and r8187b folders from /lib/modules/2.6.21.5/build/drivers/net/wireless
    then cut and pasted folders from rtl8187b-modified to /lib/modules/2.6.21.5/build/drivers/net/wireless
    ran wlanoup and they work

    so this is closed and also helps ppl with the install of this driver i hope

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •