Thread: I'm having trouble installing glib, pango, and gtk+

I ran pkgtool and removed glib, pango, and the gtk+ packages. I downloaded the most recent versions of all of them. Heard the order of install was glib, pango, then gtk+. I tar-xvf glib, went into the extracted glib dir, then ran ./configure, then make && make install. Afterwards, I ran pkgtool to see the new package of glib, but it wasn't there. I rebooted and still it wasn't there.

What am I doing wrong? I did the same for pango. Then, when I was doing gtk+, the make && make install outputed that there was no target. I redid the ./configure and saw an error at the end that said the gtk+ install required a certain version of glib. Of course, that version that I thought I installed was good enough, but apparently it wasn't even installed according to the pkgtool utility.

What am I doing wrong?

Also, I installed the NVIDIA drivers from their website. The nvidia driver is now in my xorg.conf and it works like a charm. I installed BT3 from a cd which had the hd install version. I want to get compiz to run, do I need to get the usb bt3 version for compiz? Can I just download the nvidia.lzm from the bt3 wiki? Or am I good since I installed the nvidia drivers? If I need to extract the nvidia.lzm where do I extract them to? /usr/lib/ ?

Also, I'm running 1440x900 res, I wanna try and get 1152x864, do I just add it as a mode in the xorg.conf?

What I'm doing is downloading the .tar.gz files for those 3 programs into my root dir. I just tar them from there and ./configure, make && make install. Kernel should automatically place the programs files where they need to be right?

I just noticed that those three compressed files for those three programs ended in tar.gz

Please excuse me, I'm still learning linux but I was running

tar -xvf when I should've been running tar -xvvzf. So I installed all of them and still they don't show in the pkgtool utility.

Also noticed this when I ran ./configure for the gtk+

checking for GLIB - version >= 2.13.5...
    *** 'pkg-config --modversion glib-2.0' returned 2.16.5, but GLIB (2.12.12)
    *** was found! If pkg-config was correct, then it is best
    *** to remove the old version of GLib. You may also be able to fix the error
    *** by modifying your LD_LIBRARY_PATH enviroment variable, or by editing
    *** /etc/ld.so.conf. Make sure you have run ldconfig if that is
    *** required on your system.
    *** If pkg-config was wrong, set the environment variable PKG_CONFIG_PATH
    *** to point to the correct configuration files
    no
    configure: error:
    *** GLIB 2.13.5 or better is required. The latest version of
    *** GLIB is always available from ftp://ftp.gtk.org/pub/gtk/

It says that it found the 2.16.5 version of glib which is great because that is one of the three packages that I tried to install and I guess it really did install. However, right after that it says that 2.12.12 was returned. I had already removed 2.12.12 of glib with pkgtool. What else do I need to do to get 2.12.12 of glib removed?

Good friend of the forums

use gslapt it will give you the option to reinstall

Where can I get gslapt? I tried slapt-get too. The command isn't found when I type in the command. I installed the hdd version of bt3.

I tried installing those three packages again and ran ldconfig after each one and they still don't come up in the pkgtool utility.

I was able to install all, thanks.

Do I have to installpkg gslapt and slapt-get everytime I boot up?

How do I set it up to where gslapt and slapt-get are here to stay? I'm running the hdd bt3 version.

Not sure what happened that time, but gslapt is installed permamently now. That was weird.

Also, I've been using this guide

http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=15515

and I'm currently trying to install compiz

I need to use slapt-get to get the packages. I'm confused on how to use it.

I've tried slapt-get PACKAGE, which is the TARGET, but that doesn't work it just gives me the help page instead. So I added those 3 repos in the preferences section of gslapt. The guide says to use slapt-get, but why can't I just use gslapt? Don't they both basically do the same thing? What do I do now?

So I'm getting the packages in that order that the guide recommends. I've come to the sexy-python package and I get dependencies needed notice for glibc-solibs. Should I go ahead and install the sexy-python package anyways? I then search for glibc-solibs and that one is excluded as well. Why is that one excluded? What should I do?

anyone? why is glibc-solibs, a package I need inorder to install the sexy-python package, on excluded status? I could try installing it manually but that's what I've done at the very beginning with glib, pang, and gtk+ and that didn't seem to work for some reason.

I was able to install the usb version and finally got compiz to work, *headbangs*

However, I noticed that the borders are missing around my windows, so I can't move the windows around or resize them. How do I bring the borders back? Or is this a bug with compiz?