Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: where can i find a list of devices and their drivers

first thing that comes to mind is a corrupt download. first run 'file' against it, as KMDave suggested and then most likely re-download the file from linuxpackages, check it's md5 while in windows...

(linuxpackages.net has a "verify MD5" link, off to the right of the page and you can get md5 checksum freeware for windows easily. check google if you need to).

once you are sure you have a solid download, reboot into bt and try 'installpkg' again...hopefully you'll get past this.

good luck
    ~s
    <sig>random, witty quote</sig>

Just burned his ISO

can i use also version B.02.13 instead of B.02.12.01 because for B.02.12.01 i can't find the md5 and for B.02.13 i can find md5.

Quote Originally Posted by hingler View Post
    can i use also version B.02.13 instead of B.02.12.01 because for B.02.12.01 i can't find the md5 and for B.02.13 i can find md5.
    be bold. what the hell.

Just burned his ISO

the link that hawaii67 gave me to download version B.02.12.01 that was a .tgz file but when i download version B.02.13 it is lshw-B.02.13.tar and filetype : .gz

what do i have to do to install it? by the way i have checked the md5 and it was corect.

ok, now you are moving slowly into the realm of full-on mentoring. Not really bt-specific here, but there are tons of resources out there. let me help get you started;

what you have in your hands is the product's 'tarball'... the mythical 'source code' that is what sets open-source software apart from the rest of the drudgery out there.

move that tarball into a clean directory (something like "downloads" or "sources" or whatever) so that you can keep an eye on it.

from that directory, at the terminal, type:
    Code:
    tar xvf <name of file>
    that will extract the contents of the file, most likely into a sub-directory that is appropriately named. now, cd to that directory, review the installation directions (normally in files such as 'README' and/or 'INSTALL' and, assuming that you don't learn anything contrary-wise, type:
    Code:
    ./configure
    assuming that this does not error-out, type:
    Code:
    make
    and assuming that this does not error-out, type:
    Code:
    make install
    at this point, you should be good-to-go, but be sure to read the documentation and watch the output for errors. any errors that you receive should give you a specific problem to look up, or a library that it cannot find, etc. google is your friend if you receive errors or weird output. chances are good that you aren't the first. if you find an error that you think (after due diligence) is bt-specific (NOT linux-specific), then copy it (as well as the steps that you have taken to resolve it that have failed miserably) back to these forums and perhaps we can help out.

if, however, things resolve themselves smashingly and you are able to run the program after you have extracted the tarball, compiled and installed it...congratulations! that is an excellent step on the path away from n00bism. well done. the next step would be to review the man pages on 'tar' and 'make' so that you can understand what you just did.

good luck...
    ~s

Just burned his ISO

when i do the command ./configure it says command not found but if i skip it the rest goes good and after the install i type gtk-lshw to start it but it says command not found. why is that because i have installed it right?

We really tried to help as much as possible but maybe it's better you first try to check out the basics of linux before you might want to use backtrack.

For example here:

http://www.linux-tutorial.info/modul...ent&pageid=224
    Don't eat yellow snow :rolleyes:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123