Thread: BT3 on HP 2133 Mini Note - Findings

Just burned his ISO

Default BT3 on HP 2133 Mini Note - Findings

Just thought I would post my findings here.

I have installed BT3 on a HP 2133 using the BT3 USB iso file. The install was fine as I used the "install to hard drive" instructions from Messing with Backtrack PDF file.

I'm not worried about the wireless not working as I have ordered an Atheros 5008 Wireless Mini PCI-E Wifi Card which I have read is fully supported. This should turn up within a week. When it does I will pull the machine apart, remove the broadcom card and install the Atheros one. (HP's website have great video instructions on how to do this) I will let you know how I go.

I also have a Wireless G Hawking HWUG1 USB adapter on its way, cos 2 wireless interfaces are better than one, aren't they?

We all know the VESA drivers work fine (in 1024x768) so what I wanted to try were the openchrome video drivers from openchromes website.

I wanted to be able to get 1280x768 resolution working, and possibly 3D. Compiz would be nice!!

I downloaded the latest release (0.2.903 as of writing this) and compiled / installed it as per instructions on the website. Compile / install was fine with no errors.

The driver does work, and I can get a KDE session running, but sadly no 1280x768. 1024x768 and lower works fine.

Also, the machine locks up when exiting an X session and I have to shut it down by holding in the power button. Quite ugly.

I did try the CVS version of the drivers but the configure script seemed to be borked so I didn't get very far.

At this point in time I have changed xorg.conf back to use VESA drivers and I will try OpenChrome again when it has matured a little more.

If anyone would like me to test anything relating to the 2133 please message me as I'm more than happy to help.

I'm quite exited about this machine as I will be testing out the Pico e16 card in its PCI-E slot. Also the VIA C7-M has "Padlock" which in essence is a crypto accelerator built into the CPU. Google "VIA padlock linux" and read the first hit for more info. (soz cant post URL's yet)

I think this machine will be a perfect platform for wifi applications. And for the price of 499AUD you can really go wrong! More to come soon.

Xan

Just burned his ISO

Default VIA Padlock - Pyrit

I downloaded and installed pyrit as per the instructions on the website / INSTALLATION file. I compiled and installed pyrit WITHOUT padlock support first, here are the benchmark results:
    Code:
    bt pyrit-read-only # python pyrit.py benchmark
    The Pyrit commandline-client (C) 2008 Lukas Lueg 
    This code is distributed under the GNU General Public License v3

The ESSID-blobspace seems to be empty; you should create an ESSID...
    Available cores: 'Standard CPU'
    Testing CPU-only core 'Standard CPU' (1 CPUs)...  25.42 PMKs/s

bt pyrit-read-only #
    Then I compiled it WITH padlock support, here are the results:
    Code:
    bt pyrit-read-only # python pyrit.py benchmark
    The Pyrit commandline-client (C) 2008 Lukas Lueg 
    This code is distributed under the GNU General Public License v3

The ESSID-blobspace seems to be empty; you should create an ESSID...
    Available cores: 'Standard CPU'
    Testing CPU-only core 'Standard CPU' (1 CPUs)...  112.70 PMKs/s

bt pyrit-read-only #
    Quite a big difference, although nothing compared to the acceleration you get with Nvidia cards. Check pyrit google page for more info on pyrit as well as more benchmarks.

Still waiting on my wireless cards, will post again soon.

Xan

** UPDATE **

I can get 208 PMKs/s when I shut down the window manager. Its still not blazingly fast, but its not bad for a little machine and I'm sure it will out perform any other sub note book machine in its class! My 2Ghz Core 2 Duo laptop sits at 283.07 PMKs/s with its 2 cores.

Just burned his ISO

Default More stuff

Well my new Atheros card turned up. Its an Atheros AR5418 802.11a/b/g/n card and it works fantastic! Thats after I nearly pulled my hair out installing the damn thing. The HP 2133 is tricky to get into, and the PCI-E slot where you need to install the card is on the bottom of the mother board. So don't attempt this unless your happy getting your fingers dirty! For those who are game, HP have some great videos on their website on how to do this. Msg me and I'll send you the link.

The standard broadcom wireless card only has two antenna connectors on it, where the atheros has three. I will be attempting an external SMA connector mod to this third antenna connector on the card. In 802.11g the card scans the three antennas to see which one has the best signal, so this will allow me to connect an yagi / omni antenna depending on what I need. Will post pics and let u know how it goes.

On another front, I decided to install BT3 on my hard drive with an encrypted root partition. I'm happy to say I've got this working and its quite neat! I have written a howto which is here:

hxxp://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?p=105330
    I will be looking for ways to test drive performance using Padlock. If you have any suggestions please let me know!

Xan

H D Moore (Metasploit) was playing with the Via Padlock stuff a little while ago, as I recall.
    (Don't know how far he got with it at all)

Anyway, ask him about the padlock, may be of some interest.....
    (He's usually in the r-e irc#)

He also offers for sale some excellent modified HP 2123's, for everyone wanting a pre-modded one