Thread: Greetings

Just burned his ISO

Default Greetings

Hello, I've just registered here, so I am posting this little hello message.

Getting familiar with BT for a security competition called CANVAS my university is participating in.

Going to be trolling for a while before I ask any questions, as I've noticed stupidity is responded to with ire and venom. =)

Seems like a great source of information so far.

Thanks

what university are you affiliated with (if you don't mind me asking) ? I went to a couple Collegiate Cyber Defense Competitions over here on the east coast. I'm not sure if this is your first one or not. But it is both the most stressful day and the funnest day of your life.

The way our comp was set up was we were the blue team and the red team hacked. We had to maintain services and keep our online web company alive and selling. We were fed business injects we had to preform along with trying to keep everything working. Every hour the scorebot would hit and scan around.

Regionals was about a week or two ago and they had Johnny Long give a talk. Awesome...

Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by spadge67 View Post
    Going to be trolling for a while before I ask any questions, as I've noticed stupidity is responded to with ire and venom. =)
    Ive seen worse forums for this actually. Id say the stupidity tolerance here is about medium level - at some forums you would even get flamed for a hello message like the one you have just posted.

However its easy to avoid problems. All of the posts that I have seen receiving the "ire and venom" have not done one of the following:
    • Follow the forum rules (don't ask how to steal the neighbors wi-fi)
    • STFW (personal pet-peeve - if I can find the answer to your question in 2 minutes using Google, expect a patronising response)
    • Put in some effort (no homework questions, don't ask "can X do Y" if you could find out the answer by trying it yourself)
    • Ask question intelligently (provide exact error messages, say what you're trying to achieve, use something that vaguely resembles English)

EDIT: The best guide to forum etiquette is here http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=7182
    This also has a reference to one of my favorite web documents by Eric Steven Raymond, which is here http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Quote Originally Posted by spadge67 View Post
    Getting familiar with BT for a security competition called CANVAS my university is participating in.
    CANVAS? Interesting name for a security competition, especially considering that there is a commercial exploitation product with that name. Does ImmunitySec have anything to do with the competition?
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Just burned his ISO

yeah spadge67, i agree with you. it was intimidating at times to see the venom being spewed but let me assure you that the BRAINS here are very very supportive and always always ready to guide and teach if we have the right attitude. as for a few of them whose articles i come across here have absolutely no pride, ego whatsoever. and learning here is such a wonderful experience. i would just want to add , if you dont want to come in their firing line then just Do your home work and dont expect to be spoon fed and then we ll learn a lot...have a great learning experience...good day