Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WPA - Stuck at handshake

Quote Originally Posted by Acester View Post
    Oooh... Now I have to say that makes much more sense.

I've used wireshark for the first time, and I see that it's a packet sniffer. This is going to allow me to see if there are any wireless clients connected to the AP, correct? I don't really know how to use it.. Any tips, or maybe there's a good thread out there?
    This should get you started with wireshark: http://www.wireshark.org/download/do...r-guide-a4.pdf

But both airodump-ng and kismet are able to tell you whether there currently are any clients connected to an AP as well.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

I've used wireshark for the first time, and I see that it's a packet sniffer. This is going to allow me to see if there are any wireless clients connected to the AP, correct? I don't really know how to use it.. Any tips, or maybe there's a good thread out there?
    If I were you I'd go pick up a book on the subject. I'd post a link, but I'm on my iPhone.... Search here for theprez98, or Thorn, they are both authors of some really good books on this subject.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Thanks for all the quick help Tron, I really appreciate it.

You say airodump-ng tells if there's any clients connected? Where does that show up? I'm going to take a guess and say it's the #/s column? Because for every AP I see the number is 0. lol. Thanks again

@ Secure it:
    Yeah, I'm obviously a noob. I mean, I'm posting in the NEWBIE section after all, even when I'm able to post anywhere else in the forum. I will gladly read up on how encryption works, but I don't think it's nessesary to call me a noob. I know how my router works inside and out for the most part, other than the encryption business. But that's what I'm here for. + I've used Slax and Ubuntu before, so this isn't complete jibberish to me.

Thanks for all the quick help Tron, I really appreciate it.

You say airodump-ng tells if there's any clients connected? Where does that show up? I'm going to take a guess and say it's the #/s column? Because for every AP I see the number is 0. lol. Thanks again
    The column that you are referring to simply shows the number of data packets the AP is transmitting per second. The clients will in airodump-ng show up under the second half of the screen, after the second BSSID column. Once a client connects to the AP you will be able to see the MAC of the client under STATION and the MAC of the AP it is connected to under BSSID.

Aaaahh, that's what that is.. Much appreciated! I'm going to connect a few things to my network wirelessly, see what it all look like. I'm another happy customer, thanks.

Aaaahh, that's what that is.. Much appreciated! I'm going to connect a few things to my network wirelessly, see what it all look like. I'm another happy customer, thanks.
    Don't mention it, glad to be able to help.

Buy the book, Practical Packet Analysis. It will teach you all about packets, and how to use Wireshark to perform the analysis.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Somewhere in the "Ex" human right country

may i must remind you, there's a little thing called spoonwpa, that will get ur handshake in minutes.....
    Watch your back, your packetz will belong to me soon... xD

BackTrack :
    Giving Machine Guns to Monkeys since 2006

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12