Thread: Keymap

Default Keymap

First up I duel boot BT3 with XP

Im getting tired of changing my keymap everytime I log on, how can I get BT3 to save my changes, so that when I boot up the keymap is loaded staright awway.

Im sure it must be v.simple but im afraid i still havent found it.

Thanks

Since you have BT3F installed to your HDD the solution would be rather simple. If I remember correctly KDE by default will always start a new session at each boot, which probably is why you find your keymap settings defaulting back to the original settings. You should therefore enable the option for KDE to restore last session at start-up instead. I believe that the setting can be found under Control Center->KDE Components->Session Manager.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

So will this boot up the keymap in boot, ie before typing startx i will be able to use my selected keymap

Because one solution to my problem was to change xorg.conf, but this only came into effect if I ran startx

This will only affect KDE. It will make sure that KDE starts up looking exactly the same way as when you closed your computer last time, i.e. if you had a program currently open at shut-down it will be running by default at the next boot.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Keymapping actually is controlled in a number of areas and in some cases depends on the program. For example, as you found with X, changing xorg.conf only works when you run startx.

This page has a number of configurations for various shells and programs and may help you:
    http://www.comptechdoc.org/os/linux/...gterminal.html
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.