Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wireless adapter with good signal and injection

Just burned his ISO

Default Wireless adapter with good signal and injection

I'm really sorry about this. This has probably been asked thousands of times. I've done some forum searching but obviously my skills at this are very poor because I can't find anything. I have also looked at the HCL.

I'm looking for a recommendation on a wireless adapter that can do injection and has good signal. I've seen some that can do injection but none of mine can and the ones I have seen generally have very low signal power. I've used a b43 chip and a ipw2200 both built in to the notebooks and got a lot better signal than any cheap little USB dongle I've seen that can do the injection.

Ideally, it would be nice if the HCL had an approximate rating for the signal on each adapter from a certain number of metres away but I suppose that there are too many variables to make that possible.

Anyway, does anyone have any recommendations from their own use?

Just burned his ISO

The "Which card shall I buy" million dollar question....

The ALFA AWUS036H.
    'Nuff said, but I'll say more..

This is the card (USB Dongle) recomended from the aircrack-ng staff themselves. It's 50-60 dollars. It's worth it. I have one right here infront of me. I love it. :P

I dunno, you really can't go wrong if you buy one of these.. Like, even if your NOT going to use it for cracking and stuff, it's a great signal booster when using your computer normally. I find open wifi anywhere I go with this baby. lol

And it brings 2 bars to 4. (out of 5) Check it out on ebay.

Just burned his ISO

Default hawking

im currently using the hawking awug1 usb dongle and its been awesome. the signal is great injection and monitor mode and all the goodies worked out the box.
    all it needs on a boot is "ifconfig rausb0 up" and your good to go. i dont know about where you live but i got mine from bestbuy for 40$

Just burned his ISO

OK, thanks for the very useful answer from Acester.

No thanks for the useless one

Quote Originally Posted by ghell View Post
    No thanks for the useless one
    The reply given by piggyinthemiddle was by no means useless, most likely he was referring to the 27 pages long thread for discussing different wireless cards that can be found on the forum. The thread should provide you with more than enough suggestions for different working cards, although I have to concur with Acester on that the AWUS036H would be an excellent choice.

The "Which card shall I buy" million dollar question....: http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=2191
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

heh, This is the second time today this was asked...
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    heh, This is the second time today this was asked...
    I actually asked it yesterday. Most of the posts I had seen had no mention of signal strength.

I forgot to thank mupto because his post didn't appear until after mine so thanks mupto.

Anyway, I have my answer now. Any moderator is welcome to lock this, move it, call me an idiot and move it to the idiot forum or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by ghell View Post
    I actually asked it yesterday. Most of the posts I had seen had no mention of signal strength.

I forgot to thank mupto because his post didn't appear until after mine so thanks mupto.

Anyway, I have my answer now. Any moderator is welcome to lock this, move it, call me an idiot and move it to the idiot forum or whatever.
    Hahahahahahaha,

How about you just post what card you eventually get.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Just burned his ISO

OK, will do. I'll probably get the Alfa if I can find it.

Since that 27 page thread is
    1. very long
    2. hard to find (half way through the forum and didn't come up in my searches)
    3. in the backtrack 2 section (implying that the supported cards and how well they work is out of date for bt3)

Is there any chance of a symlink (or shadow copy or whatever it is that forums call it) from a sticky in the newbie area under an obvious title such as "* WHICH WIRELESS ADAPTER TO USE *" and maybe later updated for any changes in BT3 and collated into a few posts rather than 27 pages?

Also, the wireless HCL seems to be quite dated but I don't know enough about backtrack or most of these cards to make any changes. I know that some of these are probably using ndiswrapper when they no longer have to and I know that some of the bcm43xx cards could use b43, for example. I don't know how that would affect their performance or functionality. My "Dell 1390" wireless under Debian x64 was significantly improved by switching to b43 though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast