Thread: How to manually set what driver to use with wifi dongle ?

Default How to manually set what driver to use with wifi dongle ?

Hi.

My question is in the title, I would like to know how to define what driver to use by default with an usb wifi dongle (alfa awus036h) whenever you boot or plug it. I have BT3 on usb with persistent changes properly set.

(In fact, I have both ndiswrapper and r8187, and ndiswrapper load as default driver at boot or when I plug the dongle, how to make r8187 to load by default instead ?)

Thanks !

Just burned his ISO

Default alfa driver

You should be able to get what you need from this post.

hxxp://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=15497&highlight=alfa+driver

At this time, after a struggle I've found how to prevent ndiswrapper to load by editing /lib/modules/2.6.21.5/modules.dep.
    Now I've just added a line /lib/modules/2.6.21.5/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/rtl8187/r8187.ko and after reboot, r8187 don't load and when I try modprobe r8187, it shows FATAL blablabla.

Any idea ?

"Airdriver-ng installed" returns : [...]35. Realtek rtl8187 - custom[...]

Ok ! I have a temporary solution : I've re-installed the r8187 module, and then I comment the line with ndiswrapper.ko in modules.dep so as to disable it, even at boot. When I need ndiswrapper, I just uncomment the same line and do modprobe ndiswrapper && rmmod r8187.

I know there's a better solution. Do you have it ?

I know the solution is simple, there's absolutely nobody to help me with that ?

Okay, guys, thank you for your help.

The answer was :

Add to the file /etc/rc.d/rc.modules the lines

Code:
    /sbin/modprobe -r ndiswrapper
    /sbin/modprobe r8187