Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A questions about ettercap and topology

Just burned his ISO

Question A questions about ettercap and topology

My Network layout
    Running ettercap on a laptop (wireless client WPA) and one desktop connected wired to the router/gateway(WPA).

When I do a Host scan with ettercap I only receive one Host in my list which is the gateway and no clients. My desktop IP does not show up is this because the client is hard wired?

So I'M asking do MitM attacks work on wired host when running a program such as ettercap on a wireless interface?

try to scan for hosts few times, or quit ettercap and start it again
    i always need to scan for hosts for few times untill i get all my hosts showing...

and for your question, yes its working, im messing with wired/wireless ettercap all day long , goin crazy, need to go to sleep

Just burned his ISO

Default thank you

thank you for the reply..

I know what you mean by rescanning.
    One time (maybe 1 out 100) I was able to get my wired host by updating the host list constantly.
    Seemed a little strange because when I hook up the laptop wired no problems at all. I'm going to try another router I have just to see what result I get.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by image View Post
    My Network layout
    Running ettercap on a laptop (wireless client WPA) and one desktop connected wired to the router/gateway(WPA).

When I do a Host scan with ettercap I only receive one Host in my list which is the gateway and no clients. My desktop IP does not show up is this because the client is hard wired?

So I'M asking do MitM attacks work on wired host when running a program such as ettercap on a wireless interface?
    If you want to perform MITM attack you have to be in a "switched" network. I mean, hosts must be connected to the switch, this is because of natrue of ARP requests-replies(works at Layer 2 of OSI model, router i.e. gateway works at L3).

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by image View Post
    The kind of connection (wireless, wired, etc.) is a layer1 thing. ARP works on level 2, therefore doesnt care about the physical type of connection.

Quote Originally Posted by pipetka000 View Post
    If you want to perform MITM attack you have to be in a "switched" network. I mean, hosts must be connected to the switch, this is because of natrue of ARP requests-replies(works at Layer 2 of OSI model, router i.e. gateway works at L3).
    You can also be in a non-switched environment (hub)
    Don't eat yellow snow :rolleyes:

Do you not ahve to do something different when doing ettercap over wireless? Im sure there is something though for the life of me I cant remember.

Is it ettercap-wifi or another flag in the app that needs pressing? (not near a bt machine)
    wtf?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy90 View Post
    Do you not ahve to do something different when doing ettercap over wireless? Im sure there is something though for the life of me I cant remember.

Is it ettercap-wifi or another flag in the app that needs pressing? (not near a bt machine)
    This is already addressed two posts above yours.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Yes I read it and understand it, but I still think there is something I had to do different (when I did my presentation I seem to think this is what I got stumped by in the demo, it worked wire to wire ok, but over wireless there was one extra step)... but I'm probably very wrong and have memory gremlins in my head.
    wtf?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy90 View Post
    Yes I read it and understand it, but I still think there is something I had to do different (when I did my presentation I seem to think this is what I got stumped by in the demo, it worked wire to wire ok, but over wireless there was one extra step)... but I'm probably very wrong and have memory gremlins in my head.
    Only thing I can think about, although hardly what you are, is that you will need to make sure that you have your wireless card in managed mode and connected to the AP in question in order for ettercap to work properly. Once connected it will function just the same way on a wireless as on a wired network.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast