Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using Nmap

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Thumbs down Using Nmap

Is it possible to scan a system anywhere on internet using Nmap??

Or is it only for scaning machines on local network..?

Is ther any apps to scan systems on internet?

Developer

This kids is a obvious example of complete laziness and a blatant lake of RTFM.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Sure feel free to to scan anything on the internet with Nmap that you want to. When your internet connection gets canceled, you can try to explain to mommy & daddy why they can't get their email anymore.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Just burned his ISO

I asked because, in tutorials i have seen nmap using to scan only local networks.

Quote Originally Posted by ranees View Post
    I asked because, in tutorials i have seen nmap using to scan only local networks.
    That's because most of the time, it's explicitly against the TOS/AUP of your ISP to be conducting recon against other networks. And there are people out there (like me) that detect such things and report them to their ISP's and have their accounts canceled for violating the TOS/AUP.

Basically, you have no business running nmap against a network across the internet without explicit permission of the network owner and your ISP.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Just burned his ISO

Then how criminals attack into machines over internet??

Thumbs up

Is it possible to scan a system anywhere on internet using Nmap??

Or is it only for scaning machines on local network..?

Is ther any apps to scan systems on internet?
    the Nmap post which you are talking about points to vulnerability assessment.its Active scan and detectable by firewalls and IDS/IPS systems so if you are going to use your creativity with Nmap on WAN then chances your ISP may show his creativity on you.its VA tool for assessing security holes in a particular network after legally signed a Non-Disclosure Agreement between Pen-Tester and the party.read more @ www.insecure.org

Just burned his ISO

Thanks for your replies..

So If i have an agrement with the target person to do pen-test , it wont be considered as crime..right?
    Actually i want to practice it over internet as a part of my research in Security Vulnerabilities.

So If i have an agrement with the target person to do pen-test , it wont be considered as crime..right?
    Actually i want to practice it over internet as a part of my research in Security Vulnerabilities.
    Not only with the intended target but also with your own ISP, as most ISP don't look to favorably upon people conducting such things across their network.

Make sure you get the agreement in writing from someone that actually has the authority to make the decision.

Thumbs up

I won't advice you to go and pen-test over the internet like sitting at home.every company is having its own extranet and intranet.if you want to perform external PT then make a confidential legal agreement in between you and the company representative for avoiding the legal conflicts later.as streaker said.there is a lot of things involved while doing this,ISP,other users etc. cause multiple instance of nmap can bring down the resources and can lead to violation of avaliability.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast