Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: whats the reason of broadcasting such a strange ESSID?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    105

    Default whats the reason of broadcasting such a strange ESSID?

    Hello,

    first of all, I am not interested to (ab)use the AP of my neighbour, but from the point of the educational vue, I would like to find out the reason of the following behaviours..


    Mostly his station does does broadcast the correct ESSID/name (which is infact his family name)

    But sometimes(e.g. 1 minute) his station(identyfiable by the mac) does broadcast a very strange ESSID name like:

    mycloudy,34fg5678f1420dd678d7b689,mobile


    Maybe it's of interest that my neighbour is always using an unknown(spoofed?) mac address to connect to his own AP...


    Question:
    What could be the reason of this strange ESSID (I heard that in the past, due to a Windows bug the client/stations did broadcast "wrong" ESSID) ?



    Any feedback is apprecaited very much. Thank you!

    John

  2. #2
    Senior Member ShadowKill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    908

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by john99 View Post
    Hello,

    first of all, I am not interested to (ab)use the AP of my neighbour, but from the point of the educational vue, I would like to find out the reason of the following behaviours..


    Mostly his station does does broadcast the correct ESSID/name (which is infact his family name)

    But sometimes(e.g. 1 minute) his station(identyfiable by the mac) does broadcast a very strange ESSID name like:

    mycloudy,34fg5678f1420dd678d7b689,mobile


    Maybe it's of interest that my neighbour is always using an unknown(spoofed?) mac address to connect to his own AP...


    Question:
    What could be the reason of this strange ESSID (I heard that in the past, due to a Windows bug the client/stations did broadcast "wrong" ESSID) ?



    Any feedback is apprecaited very much. Thank you!

    John
    http://www.thecloud.net/page/4628 perhaps?



    "The goal of every man should be to continue living even after he can no longer draw breath."

    ~ShadowKill

  3. #3
    Good friend of the forums
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    328

    Default

    prob somebodys phone or PDA ?

  4. #4
    Member Apollopimp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    120

    Default

    Why are you so interested in your neighbors wireless info?

    http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=16012

  5. #5
    Senior Member ShadowKill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    908

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by john99 View Post
    ....Hello,

    first of all, I am not interested to (ab)use the AP of my neighbour, but from the point of the educational vue....
    Because he want's to learn I gave him what appears to be the information he was looking for, but if you have a more contructive view then by all means, educate us all. I'm up for some learning today as well



    "The goal of every man should be to continue living even after he can no longer draw breath."

    ~ShadowKill

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    105

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowKill View Post
    Because he want's to learn I gave him what appears to be the information he was looking for, but if you have a more contructive view then by all means, educate us all. I'm up for some learning today as well

    Thank's ShadowKill for the constructive feedback :-) It looks to me - due to the different and sometimes meaningful ESSID names - as several devices would be connected to the same AP(MAC), but since there is only one Station MAC shown in Aerodump-ng, I assume that's not possible....
    Or am I wrong?


    Thank's a lot in advance for any contructive feedback!


    John

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,008

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by john99 View Post
    Thank's ShadowKill for the constructive feedback :-) It looks to me - due to the different and sometimes meaningful ESSID names - as several devices would be connected to the same AP(MAC), but since there is only one Station MAC shown in Aerodump-ng, I assume that's not possible....
    Or am I wrong?
    The broadcasted ESSID gives you no reliable information about what might be behind the wireless AP, nor does the MAC address. Airodump-ng will naturally only pick up wireless signals, which means that there might be several devices connected to the AP through a wired connection.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •