Thread: whats the reason of broadcasting such a strange ESSID?

Default whats the reason of broadcasting such a strange ESSID?

Hello,

first of all, I am not interested to (ab)use the AP of my neighbour, but from the point of the educational vue, I would like to find out the reason of the following behaviours..

Mostly his station does does broadcast the correct ESSID/name (which is infact his family name)

But sometimes(e.g. 1 minute) his station(identyfiable by the mac) does broadcast a very strange ESSID name like:

mycloudy,34fg5678f1420dd678d7b689,mobile

Maybe it's of interest that my neighbour is always using an unknown(spoofed?) mac address to connect to his own AP...

Question:
    What could be the reason of this strange ESSID (I heard that in the past, due to a Windows bug the client/stations did broadcast "wrong" ESSID) ?

Any feedback is apprecaited very much. Thank you!

John

Quote Originally Posted by john99 View Post
    Hello,

first of all, I am not interested to (ab)use the AP of my neighbour, but from the point of the educational vue, I would like to find out the reason of the following behaviours..

Mostly his station does does broadcast the correct ESSID/name (which is infact his family name)

But sometimes(e.g. 1 minute) his station(identyfiable by the mac) does broadcast a very strange ESSID name like:

mycloudy,34fg5678f1420dd678d7b689,mobile

Maybe it's of interest that my neighbour is always using an unknown(spoofed?) mac address to connect to his own AP...

Question:
    What could be the reason of this strange ESSID (I heard that in the past, due to a Windows bug the client/stations did broadcast "wrong" ESSID) ?

Any feedback is apprecaited very much. Thank you!

John
    http://www.thecloud.net/page/4628 perhaps?

"The goal of every man should be to continue living even after he can no longer draw breath."

~ShadowKill

Good friend of the forums

prob somebodys phone or PDA ?

Why are you so interested in your neighbors wireless info?

http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=16012

....Hello,

first of all, I am not interested to (ab)use the AP of my neighbour, but from the point of the educational vue....
    Because he want's to learn I gave him what appears to be the information he was looking for, but if you have a more contructive view then by all means, educate us all. I'm up for some learning today as well

"The goal of every man should be to continue living even after he can no longer draw breath."

~ShadowKill

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowKill View Post
    Because he want's to learn I gave him what appears to be the information he was looking for, but if you have a more contructive view then by all means, educate us all. I'm up for some learning today as well

Thank's ShadowKill for the constructive feedback :-) It looks to me - due to the different and sometimes meaningful ESSID names - as several devices would be connected to the same AP(MAC), but since there is only one Station MAC shown in Aerodump-ng, I assume that's not possible....
    Or am I wrong?

Thank's a lot in advance for any contructive feedback!

John

Thank's ShadowKill for the constructive feedback :-) It looks to me - due to the different and sometimes meaningful ESSID names - as several devices would be connected to the same AP(MAC), but since there is only one Station MAC shown in Aerodump-ng, I assume that's not possible....
    Or am I wrong?
    The broadcasted ESSID gives you no reliable information about what might be behind the wireless AP, nor does the MAC address. Airodump-ng will naturally only pick up wireless signals, which means that there might be several devices connected to the AP through a wired connection.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.