Thread: Little OT: So what about that USB stick

Default Little OT: So what about that USB stick

I've read that if you're having some live or full installed OS on your USB stick, shall we say BT3, then it wears off that stick rather fast. Is that true or myth? I think that theorically the USB stick can be written 200.000 times or so, but I guess having OS writing some data all the time that statement might be true?

As long as you don't have a swap partition on the usb drive, it shouldn't be writing to it as much, but yea, having an os on a thumbdrive isn't conducive to it's longevity.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    As long as you don't have a swap partition on the usb drive, it shouldn't be writing to it as much, but yea, having an os on a thumbdrive isn't conducive to it's longevity.
    But only actually if you use the OS while it's on the drive. I bet you could load the OS and then put it away for 10 years and it would still be there.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    But only actually if you use the OS while it's on the drive. I bet you could load the OS and then put it away for 10 years and it would still be there.
    Duh!

I suppose I should have said, "Running an OS off a thumbdrive isn't conducive to it's longevity".
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69