Thread: Think about starting part time work to fix peoples security

Good friend of the forums

Default Think about starting part time work to fix peoples security

Hi, I looking for some extra money, and i was thinking in the weekends i could secure peoples networks. What help I need from you lot is what ways I can secure peoples networks, apart from the stuff next. Broadband firewall setup, wireless password length and encryption, disable WINS(if not need), update/patch OS, maybe make some tools that will mointor network for stuff like mitm/or install from internet.

Any other ideas people
    Thanks

I did just this same thing today for someone that has been pwned on his Vista machine. I had him DoD wipe the drive, reinstall the OS offline, turn off services / WINS / NetBIOS, etc - then tightened up his AP and DSL modem configurations.

I also introduced him to Wireshark and netstat + some other Sysinternals tools, as well as recommended server different firewall options (IPCop will probably be a good fit for him).
    dd if=/dev/swc666 of=/dev/wyze

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by wyze View Post
    I did just this same thing today for someone that has been pwned on his Vista machine. I had him DoD wipe the drive, reinstall the OS offline, turn off services / WINS / NetBIOS, etc - then tightened up his AP and DSL modem configurations.

I also introduced him to Wireshark and netstat + some other Sysinternals tools, as well as recommended server different firewall options (IPCop will probably be a good fit for him).
    I hope while you're disabling services useless services you're also disabling SSDP.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    I hope while you're disabling services useless services you're also disabling SSDP.
    Most certainly.. as well as upnp, workstation, server, remote registry... etc etc
    dd if=/dev/swc666 of=/dev/wyze

Good friend of the forums

Most certainly.. as well as upnp, workstation, server, remote registry.
    Thanks.
    Could you add on the etc's

I probably want get many servers, but I'm looking more into group policy if I go down that path.