Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Here is the easiest way to get BT3 up and running>>

Just burned his ISO

Default Here is the easiest way to get BT3 up and running>>

I have noticed a lot of arrogant people here. I have done everything so far without help, not one question anywhere on the web. I am new to the whole packet game as well as Linux.
    So, I understand a lot of the frustrations. It is probably worse to have some of these guys try to tell you things as they assume that you know others, not verbalized.
    The easiest way to get BT3 up and running for free is through Sun Micro's Virtual Box. virtualbox at .org. Download it and install it.
    This is an extremely well written program that is well documented.
    Just follow the steps to set up the Virtual Machine. Make sure you give it a general idea of what Operating system it is working with in the settings. I chose Debian.
    Now you have to hook all that up to the image file , BT3-Final.ISO. So just browse to it and open it for the machine.
    Now just start the machine. It should boot into a menu. I chose VESA KDE. Persistent changes never would work for me in Qemu regardless of endless ISO file configuration changes.
    That doesn't matter here because you will just be saving the state of the Operating system every time you close everything down.
    This should allow you to become familiar with everything in a much less frustrated state.
    Note:
    You are going to have to learn Linux command line functions.
    unixguide at .net at /linux/linuxshortcuts at .shtml
    .ss64 at .com at /bash/
    You need to understand that .tar.gz files have to unzipped manually.
    and installed manually. Make sure you are typing
    perfectly.
    You perform these commands in a Konsole. Which you can usually open by right clicking and going to the action listing and open a Konsole in that directory. You must be in the directory holding the file to work with it. Type LS to list the contents.
    I do not know of any interface in BT3 that will perform decompression and execution automatically, like in Windows.
    I may be missing something there.
    These are just some things that I hope will help out a little. Keep in mind:
    You must read a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Staged18 View Post
    I have noticed a lot of arrogant people here. I have done everything so far without help, not one question anywhere on the web. I am new to the whole packet game as well as Linux.
    So, I understand a lot of the frustrations. It is probably worse to have some of these guys try to tell you things as they assume that you know others, not verbalized.
    The easiest way to get BT3 up and running for free is through Sun Micro's Virtual Box. virtualbox at .org. Download it and install it.
    Just follow the steps to set up the Virtual Machine. Make sure you give it a general idea of what Operating system it is working with in the settings. I chose Debian.
    Now you have to hook all that up to the image file , BT3-Final.ISO. So just browse to it and open it for the machine.
    Now just start the machine. It should boot into a menu. I chose VESA KDE. Persistent changes never would work for me in Qemu regardless of endless ISO file configuration changes.
    That doesn't matter here because you will just be saving the state of the Operating system every time you close everything down.
    This should allow you to become familiar with everything in a much less frustrated state.
    Note:
    You are going to have to learn Linux command line functions.
    unixguide at .net at /linux/linuxshortcuts at .shtml
    .ss64 at .com at /bash/
    You need to understand that .tar.gz files have to unzipped manually.
    and installed manually. Make sure you are typing
    perfectly.
    You perform these commands in a Konsole. Which you can usually open by right clicking and going to the action listing and open a Konsole in that directory. You must be in the directory holding the file to work with it. Type LS to list the contents.
    I do not know of any interface in BT3 that will perform decompression and execution automatically, like in Windows.
    I may be missing something there.
    These are just some things that I hope will help out a little. Keep in mind:
    You must read a lot.
    You neglected to inform people that only usb-wireless works in a virtual environment (which has been pointed out many times on this forum).
    And it is NOT arrogance it is the fact that a certain amount of knowledge and effort is required before you attempt to use Backtrack. Many people don't realize that it is not something for a n00b, script kiddie, or whatever to use. At least a fair amount of knowledge in the technology involved is crucial to using the tools available. And if you are going to supply a 'tutorial' of sorts put it in the appropriate section.

Developer

I have noticed a lot of arrogant people here
    Like who? me?
    I have done everything so far without help, not one question anywhere on the web. I am new to the whole packet game as well as Linux.
    Good for you
    Backtrack is not for n00bs!
    This is a opinion with little fact to back it up.
    I'm unclear how this is "easier" than using the premade backtrack vmware image with vmware server which is also free.
    ark for the command line challenged is a gui archiver program which happens to be included in bt3.

You neglected to inform people that only usb-wireless works in a virtual environment (which has been pointed out many times on this forum).
    And it is NOT arrogance it is the fact that a certain amount of knowledge and effort is required before you attempt to use Backtrack. Many people don't realize that it is not something for a n00b, script kiddie, or whatever to use. At least a fair amount of knowledge in the technology involved is crucial to using the tools available. And if you are going to supply a 'tutorial' of sorts put it in the appropriate section.
    Well said and very true madm0nk

Hey pureh@te, just noticed your sig, nice computer! You build it or buy it?
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Developer

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Hey pureh@te, just noticed your sig, nice computer! You build it or buy it?
    Built it of course

Quote Originally Posted by Staged18 View Post
    Here is the easiest way to get BT3 up and running>>
    And here I thought the easiest way to get BT3 up and running would be to burn it on a CD and simply boot using it, silly me.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Quote Originally Posted by =Tron= View Post
    And here I thought the easiest way to get BT3 up and running would be to burn it on a CD and simply boot using it, silly me.
    So easy a caveman could do it.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    So easy a caveman could do it.
    LOL

There is also the:

extract iso folders to usb drive, double click on bootinst.bat in the boot folder, reboot pc and boot off usb drive.

phewwww, that was hard...

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by BAGMAN View Post
    LOL

There is also the:

extract iso folders to usb drive, double click on bootinst.bat in the boot folder, reboot pc and boot off usb drive.

phewwww, that was hard...
    So easy a RemoteExploit Newb could do it, oh wait... nevermind.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by madm0nk View Post
    How can a private learn to drive a tank without climbing inside? This is my first computer, and my first post(hello everybody) and I want to steer the tank! I'm loving computers, Its a fresh discovery, and I want the most out of my short time on Earth. Here I am.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast