Thread: Problems connecting to WLAN

Just burned his ISO

Question Problems connecting to WLAN

So Im trying to connect to a WLAN and have the correct key and such but the wireless assistant cant connect for some reason. Just FYI Im using the LiveCD version of BT3-Final with a broadcom integrated wireless card

It would be difficult to count the number of times this block of commands has been posted on this forum.
    Code:
    rm /etc/dhcpc/*
    ifconfig <interface> down
    iwconfig <interface> essid "Network_Name"
    iwconfig <interface> key WEP_KEY
    ifconfig <interface> up
    dhcpcd –nd <interface>
    The variables to replace in these commands are <interface>, Network_Name, and WEP_KEY
    When hungry, eat your rice; when tired, close your eyes. Fools may laugh at me, but wise men will know what I mean. -- Lin-Chi
    - - - - - - - -
    I slept once, it was a Tuesday.

Just burned his ISO

okay so that was no help at all. Also I have determined that it is not an ecryption problem as I also couldnt connect to my neighbors wireless network and he has no encrytion on it.

So....what do I need to do to connect because that block of commands didnt work as posted

Quote Originally Posted by jaker29902 View Post
    okay so that was no help at all. Also I have determined that it is not an ecryption problem as I also couldnt connect to my neighbors wireless network and he has no encrytion on it.

So....what do I need to do to connect because that block of commands didnt work as posted
    The commands suggested by pynstrom should work provided that you use a supported wireless card. Could you kindly post the actual chipset model of the broadcom card that you use, as not all are supported, i.e. BCM4312 or BCM4318. Does the card work for you otherwise and have you made sure to put it into managed mode before you try to connect to the AP?

Also, please keep to your own AP and leave your neighbours alone.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Developer

Quote Originally Posted by jaker29902 View Post

I'm only going to give one warning in this matter. Connecting to a unauthorized network is illegal and we do not condone any illegal activities here.

Just burned his ISO

My neighbor is my best friend and I have gotten previous permission to connect to his network so no problem there. Will check my chip type and post it up.

Quote Originally Posted by pureh@te View Post
    I'm only going to give one warning in this matter. Connecting to a unauthorized network is illegal and we do not condone any illegal activities here.
    Just interesting, how do you define illegal? Because what is illegal in one country can be legal in other countries. If it's illegal in US than I'm pretty sure that nobody have heard of that in Russia or Africa at all for example

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by caballero View Post
    Just interesting, how do you define illegal? Because what is illegal in one country can be legal in other countries. If it's illegal in US than I'm pretty sure that nobody have heard of that in Russia or Africa at all for example
    Africa is a country now?
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Developer

Quote Originally Posted by caballero View Post
    Well the fact of the matter is we have rules on the forums so whether or not what your talking about is illegal in your country is irrelevant. Most of us who have been around the board for a long time have a code of ethics and morals which closely resemble the actual laws in countries such as the US or the UK which is where the primary base of members is. Therefore you are basically at the mercy of the people who run the board. If you don't like it there are plenty of blackhat type forums which you could subscribe to.
    Just as a side note although I don't feel the need to defend my actions I only gave the guy a warning which did not result in any sort of penalty against his account.