Thread: Multiple problems with BT3 Final

Just burned his ISO

Exclamation Multiple problems with BT3 Final

Hey guys Im new to Backtrack and Ive got BT3 Final and Im trying to use it as a livecd, but heres some problems Im experiencing so please help!

I can not run the KDE option for whatever reason I an error message saying xstartconfig is messed up or somesuch. However I can boot FLUX sucessfully and run most everything except kimset, furthermore my wireless card not be detect though I believe this to be a driver issue.

Second when I try to run some programs, I get a dcopsever can not be started contact your system admin.

How can I fix these problems? please help feel free to email me

im guessing kismet is not working because you have not changed your kismet.conf file. Ive forgotten where kismet.conf is, but just use find files/folders in the k menu.

Once there use ctrl+F to find "source"

I have an atheros chipset and my source line looks like this

source=madwifi_g,wifi0,athos

you will need to look up what chipset your card is and modify appropriately

Quote Originally Posted by jaker29902 View Post
    Hey guys Im new to Backtrack and Ive got BT3 Final and Im trying to use it as a livecd, but heres some problems Im experiencing so please help!

I can not run the KDE option for whatever reason I an error message saying xstartconfig is messed up or somesuch. However I can boot FLUX sucessfully and run most everything except kimset, furthermore my wireless card not be detect though I believe this to be a driver issue.

Second when I try to run some programs, I get a dcopsever can not be started contact your system admin.

How can I fix these problems? please help feel free to email me
    The dcopserver error relates to KDE, since you run Flux there will be obvious issues running apps that are for KDE.

What is your wireles chipset and all around hardware?
    dd if=/dev/swc666 of=/dev/wyze

Just burned his ISO

Alright to awnser a couple of questions, Im running an HP Pavilion dv9308nr with a broadcom intergrated wireless chip. As for OS Im running windows vista home premium. Ill look around for the kimset file but not sure what I need to change it for, and still need help getting KDE to run

kismet has never worked for me before I changed the kismet.conf file. I believe you change it so that kismet can load up the appropriate driver for your specific wireless card. Also before you start any of this make sure your wireless card can support monitor mode and packet injection. Im guessing your using kismet to crack some wep to do this you will need to be able to inject packets.

If it doesnt, you will need to buy a new card, my card works straight out the pack netgear - wg311t
    Try it out and report back

Quote Originally Posted by calypso View Post
    kismet has never worked for me before I changed the kismet.conf file. I believe you change it so that kismet can load up the appropriate driver for your specific wireless card.
    This is correct, Kismet is not supposed to work before you specify the correct source.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaker29902 View Post
    Alright to awnser a couple of questions, Im running an HP Pavilion dv9308nr with a broadcom intergrated wireless chip. As for OS Im running windows vista home premium. Ill look around for the kimset file but not sure what I need to change it for, and still need help getting KDE to run
    Which is the actual broadcom chipset that you use, for example BCM4312 or BCM4311. If your card is supported it will use the BCM43xx driver so the source in your kismet.conf file should look like this:
    Code:
    source=bcm43xx,eth1,bcm43xx
    make sure to change the eth1 part to the actual wireless interface your card is listed as by iwconfig. The file you need to edit can be found at the following location /usr/local/etc/kismet.conf.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Just burned his ISO

okay so how do I do all of this while Im loading the livecd and running off of that?

can you not read...

Tron and myself gave you step by step guide...

change dircetory to /usr/local/etc/kismet.conf.

nano /usr/local/etc/kismet.conf. //this opens up file in console editor

find the source line

change appropriately for example source=bcm43xx,eth1,bcm43xx

Just burned his ISO

Hey guys finally figured out the problem, seemed to be a busted installation of some sort so I FINALLY managed to get a cd-r burned with a good download of BT3 looks like Im good to go. Thanks for all the help