Thread: Question concerning password list generators

Hybrid View

Default Question concerning password list generators

Howdy fellas,

I was surfing the web for a few hours now to find what I need, but I could not find it. So I thought what a hell I'll just ask:

1. Is there a program for BT that removes all duplicate words from a password list? A perfect online example: www.design215.com/toolbox/wordlist.php
    2. Is there a good and more or less universal program for password generating for linux at all? Which includes tools like "leet - l33t" converting and so on?

much obliged in advance

Developer

1. Is there a program for BT that removes all duplicate words from a password list
    Yes

The cat command with the uniq flag like this and the sort flag will alphabetize the list.

bt~#cat oldlist | uniq | sort > newlist.txt

Quote Originally Posted by pureh@te View Post
    Yes

The cat command with the uniq flag like this and the sort flag will alphabetize the list.

bt~#cat oldlist | uniq | sort > newlist.txt
    Well, I have read about this cat command, but that was not exactly what I had in mind. For example what if I have something.txt file of a normal text approx 6000 words and I want to make a password list from it also removing all duplicates? I tried few variations of cat command but I guess it just arranged the lines, not the words and I could still find duplicate words in generated newlist.txt.

Developer

Then you did it wrong. The entire point of the uniq command is to remove duplicates.

http://unixhelp.ed.ac.uk/CGI/man-cgi?uniq

Quote Originally Posted by pureh@te View Post
    Then you did it wrong. The entire point of the uniq command is to remove duplicates.

http://unixhelp.ed.ac.uk/CGI/man-cgi?uniq
    So I understand now that I did it wrong, but then is there a program which makes a wordlist out of simple text file (with lines, sentences, comas, dots, etc). I suppose it should take each word and put it in the single line also deleting spaces and symbols like ".',?! etc.

Developer

yes there is a tool in backtrack called wyd.pl that was actually written by the backtrack devs. I use it in this short demo video to turn a downloaded website into a passlist.

http://blip.tv/scripts/flash/showpla...showplayer.swf

Just burned his ISO

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by caballero View Post
    Howdy fellas,

I was surfing the web for a few hours now to find what I need, but I could not find it. So I thought what a hell I'll just ask:

1. Is there a program for BT that removes all duplicate words from a password list? A perfect online example:
    Linux have a lot of tools to handle text files, look for man pages:

grep, egrep, sed, tr, cut, sort, uniq....

Try:
    # apropos text

Quote Originally Posted by caballero View Post
    2. Is there a good and more or less universal program for password generating for linux at all? Which includes tools like "leet - l33t" converting and so on?

much obliged in advance
    As I said, look for egrep (regular expressions), sed...

Good luck!

* sorry my english is bad!