Thread: help! cant connect to any wireless network???!!!

Hybrid View

Default help! cant connect to any wireless network???!!!

hi everybody. ive got a Toshiba laptop with an Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG network adapter and since i bought that craptop ive never been able to connect to any wireless network, both unsceured and secured (even though i actually always typed the WEP key correctly) T_T.

thx in advance for any help

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by DrFeelgood View Post
    hi everybody. ive got a Toshiba laptop with an Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG network adapter and since i bought that craptop ive never been able to connect to any wireless network, both unsceured and secured (even though i actually always typed the WEP key correctly) T_T.

thx in advance for any help
    it has been told already on this forum 1000 times.
    iwconfig wlan0 mode managed essid <essid> key <key>
    dhcpcd wlan0

you will be having working internet connection.

Quote Originally Posted by secure_it View Post
    dhcpcd wlan0

And add in a ifconfig wlan0 up before the dhcpcd command to make sure that you are authenticated to the AP before trying to obtain an IP address.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Quote Originally Posted by secure_it View Post
    dhcpcd wlan0

Thx ....... but i'll need an answer let's say more 'windows-oriented'.

Thx ....... but i'll need an answer let's say more 'windows-oriented'.
    Hmm... So you are asking how to connect to a wireless AP in Windows? How is this question related to BackTrack then, perhaps it is a WEP key that you have obtained using one of the tools in BT?

Quote Originally Posted by =Tron= View Post
    Hmm... So you are asking how to connect to a wireless AP in Windows? How is this question related to BackTrack then, perhaps it is a WEP key that you have obtained using one of the tools in BT?
    It has nothing to do with backtrack. that's why i wrote this post under 'General IT Discusision'

Just to give an example, i went to a friend's place and he's got DSL modem with the WEP key written underneath. He can of course connect w/o any problem whereas i cant connect. and yeah i wrote the WEP key correctly. Is there a step or any additional device missing? If so i'll need as much details as possible. im not so familiar with that kinda thing.

It has nothing to do with backtrack. that's why i wrote this post under 'General IT Discusision'

Just to give an example, i went to a friend's place and he's got DSL modem with the WEP key written underneath. He can of course connect w/o any problem whereas i cant connect. and yeah i wrote the WEP key correctly. Is there a step or any additional device missing? If so i'll need as much details as possible. im not so familiar with that kinda thing.
    ask in winblows forum.

Still, as this whole forum is mainly dedicated for topics related to BackTrack and penetration testing in general it could have been a good idea to at least point out in your first post that you want to know how to do this in Windows, don’t you think?

The most likely reason why you are not able to connect to your friends wireless network is however that he has enabled MAC filtering, only allowing his own card to connect to the AP. If this is not the case your best advice is the one secure_it gave in his previous post, ask the same question on a Windows forum.