Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: God Bless microsoft and most isp's out there

Talking God Bless microsoft and most isp's out there

Microsoft is great, without them I would be working on minimum wage or doing pysical work. Also the likes of the orange box and bt homehub have been a great money spinner, I've seen so many that have needed a full factory reset on day 1( not so easy as 123 on day one as they tell their customers ). I even had 1 lady who thought the usb wifi adaptor plugged into the usb socket on her router lol. People hate spending hours on the phone waiting to talk to customer support so they call in people like me. I should have started working for myself years ago!

Any one else getting this sort of work? Would love to hear from you, exchange tales of the work ect.
    Don't discount Windows, I would be a poor man without it ;)

Just burned his ISO

Ya I do the same kind of work.Funny about the wifi.

yeah we all blame microsoft when at the same time we would not have jobs if it wasn't for windows
    -Google is watching you

-June 1, 2001, Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer: "Linux is a cancer that attaches itself in an intellectual property sense to everything it touches."

While my business model used to be break-fix, like you guys describe, I've shifted away from that. Other models are more lucrative in the long run.

Rather than point fingers, I became a Microsoft Partner. Do that, and you might make some real cash.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    While my business model used to be break-fix, like you guys describe, I've shifted away from that. Other models are more lucrative in the long run.

Rather than point fingers, I became a Microsoft Partner. Do that, and you might make some real cash.
    I agree with this. Plus you need to be really careful about the negative attitude towards Microsoft and Windows in front of clients.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Quote Originally Posted by aggtrfrad View Post
    yeah we all blame microsoft when at the same time we would not have jobs if it wasn't for windows
    Heh, speak for yourself. My last job valued Mac and Linux experience over Windows. Now because I don't have a shitty MCSE most places won't even talk to me. Never mind I've been doing desktop support for the last 5 years professionally, and at least 10 years privately.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Just burned his ISO

Ya i know.. All of my work is from word of mouth ..
    linx is great but seriously not for the normal end user.I really like linux but there is not enough support for the os itself.. You need to know what ur doing to set it for client specific users or tryiing to "sell linux itself".. windows is great as far as useability goes .. security suffers as everyone knows but at the same point there are alot more users that "run mc os's"...Anyway to make this short , trying to win someone from a ms based os is crazy.. irrevalent of liking the os or not .. most of the public is ms based and so forth will always have exploits and we will all still have a job ..so what is Back Track for anyway ?!?!....

Quote Originally Posted by i_street_race View Post
    so what is Back Track for anyway ?!?!....
    This link should provide you with the information you are looking for in case the topics discussed on the forum are not clue enough on their own:
    http://www.remote-exploit.org/backtrack.html
    BackTrack is the most Top rated linux live distribution focused on penetration testing. With no installation whatsoever, the analysis platform is started directly from the CD-Rom and is fully accessible within minutes...

...Currently BackTrack consists of more than 300 different up-to-date tools which are logically structured according to the work flow of security professionals.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post

Well that’s good for you, I’m only pointing my finger at Microsoft and a number of ISP's because I don’t get any call outs from people using anything else. I live in a sea side town that has little industry other than tourism and boat building there's not a lot of opportunity to for much else in I.T. here.

Plus with only having C&G qualifications this is about as far as I can go for now. Also I'm quite happy as I am for now. Job satisfaction is key for me and I enjoy what I do. I know there’s more money to be made in programming, web design server maintenance ect but all that ( especially programming ) bores me to tears. Yeah meeting different people every day traveling about the area and working the hours I want to work, cant get any better than that for now. I'm earning alot more than any one else I know personally at the moment.

I guess I titled this thread incorrectly to start with I was just interested to see if any one else here was doing similar work. But really god bless it!
    Don't discount Windows, I would be a poor man without it ;)

May I ask how you got yourself started? How and where do you advertise to get this sort of and other work?

Any advice would be great, as I am thinking about going solo in the future.

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast