Thread: other linux OS's

Hybrid View

Default other linux OS's

this is probably a real nooby question but thats where i am at

will the tools in backtrack work in other linux distros?

if so is that all of them or just the slax based ones or what?

basically im looking at installing a more diverse linux but want everything in bt3 to work in that
    Thanks to everyone who has contributed towards bt3 and all the other great tools within it, especially shamanvirtuel, spoonwpa is just awesome to a noob like me. hope you find somewhere to live.

Quote Originally Posted by PwnStar View Post

basically im looking at installing a more diverse linux but want everything in bt3 to work in that
    Most of them will work, but many are a PITA to compile - hence the legwork that has been done on Backrack
    dd if=/dev/swc666 of=/dev/wyze

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Chances are, if you take the time to compile everything that BT3 has from source, you can get it to work. It will probably take weeks to get everything just right, but it could be done.

Everything that I've tried from BT3 has worked on CentOS so far.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

thanks for the replies guys

ive been using linux a week now but i am an IT sys admin so im not stupid.
    Is compiling them again something that only experienced users should attempt ? or could i do it ?
    Thanks to everyone who has contributed towards bt3 and all the other great tools within it, especially shamanvirtuel, spoonwpa is just awesome to a noob like me. hope you find somewhere to live.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

thanks for the replies guys

ive been using linux a week now but i am an IT sys admin so im not stupid.
    Is compiling them again something that only experienced users should attempt ? or could i do it ?
    You could do it, but you might want to get a little more experience under your belt first. If you run across one that says you need a new kernel, run away from it, as in your case, you're not ready to recompile your kernel.

The Dsniff tools is one that I found was about the most difficult to get to compile. To get it to work on CentOS took editing several of the source files.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    The Dsniff tools is one that I found was about the most difficult to get to compile. To get it to work on CentOS took editing several of the source files.
    Yeah a lot of the older (but still very cool/useful) tools aren't forwards compatible when it comes to certain dependent libraries. You'll run into this problem at some point I'm sure PwnStar.
    dd if=/dev/swc666 of=/dev/wyze

thanks
    Ive not the skills or the patience im thinking, so i think ill carry on trying to get bt3 to dual boot with vista, although i seems to of totally screwed my MBR doing that this morning. toshiba hid some tools partition that borked the lot ... ERD .... and stress best way to start the week.