Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wifi help please!!!

Just burned his ISO

Default Wifi help please!!!

Hey i need some help.
    I have taken countless hours trying to get backtrack 2.0 to let me use my wifi on it. i have folowed everything. this is what i do.

1. ifconfig eht0 up
    (works fine, mi light pops up and the wireless assisant works but... it cant connect either)
    2.dhcpcd eth0
    (it takes a while but nothing happens.. )

can some one help me? cause this is very tiresome. thanks

might help if you mentioned at a minimum what card and chipset it is.

Just burned his ISO

ok sorry. i have a broadcom chipset. the only thing im having problems is that i cant connect to a wifi network... it identifies mi card but it wont connect. do you know y?

Quote Originally Posted by admirallocke View Post
    ok sorry. i have a broadcom chipset. the only thing im having problems is that i cant connect to a wifi network... it identifies mi card but it wont connect. do you know y?
    Please supply the actual chipset model as well, for example BCM4312, BCM4318, etc. because some Broadcom chipsets are fully supported out of the box, whereas others are not.

While you are at it provide the method/commands that you use to ´connect to your AP. Chances is that the error can be found within the process as you say that your card is detected. For your reference the following commands should get you connected to your AP:
    Code:
    rm /etc/dhcpc*
    dhcpcd –k eth0
    iwconfig eth0 mode managed 
    iwconfig eth0 essid “myAP”
    iwconfig eth0 key “myWEPkey”
    ifconfig eth0 up
    dhcpcd –d –n eth0
    Just replace myAP with the ESSID of your AP and myWEPkey with the WEP key in case you use this encryption. In case you use no encryption on your AP this step can naturally be left out.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Just burned his ISO

broadcom built in pci bcm43xx.

hold on thats no right its A Broadcom Coporation BCM4312 802.11 /a/b/g.
    sorry, im running ubuntu and vista. and im boot loading backtrack2. i also have a xps laptop

Just burned his ISO

sorry for the dumb questions.
    heres the scoop. i did a lot of research and i dont honestly thinkthe driver is the problem. i have it installed.. it finds my home network and otehr networks. but the problem is, is that it wont connect at all. what can i do?
    thanks

As far as I remember your card should be supported out of the box in BT3F. You wrote in your PM to me that the AP you are trying to connect to is using WPA encryption. To be able to connect to the AP you will need to either use wpa_supplicant directly or a connection manager like wireless assistant.

I asked you to provide the method and the commands that you use to connect to your AP in my last post, but as you still fail to give this information it is impossible for us to pinpoint your problem.

Just burned his ISO

i use the commands
    ifconfig eth0 up (mi driver is enabled)
    i use dhcpcd eth0 (and i get a long wait and it times out and mi eth0 goes down)
    if i dont use dhcpcd eth0 and i try to connect to a network using iwconfig eth0 essid "" key "" to connect to a network but it still doesnt connect. i can scan for networks using iwlist scanning to find networks. it finds them but when i run the iwconfig command it will not connect.

i try using wireless assistant but when mi eth0 is up and scanning, it finds a network but never connects..

Quote Originally Posted by masterandy21 View Post
    i use the commands
    ifconfig eth0 up (mi driver is enabled)
    i use dhcpcd eth0 (and i get a long wait and it times out and mi eth0 goes down)
    You really need to read up on the process as using these two commands in this manner simply makes no sense. You need to be connected to the AP prior to issuing the dhcpcd command as it otherwise will do no good.
    if i dont use dhcpcd eth0 and i try to connect to a network using iwconfig eth0 essid "" key "" to connect to a network but it still doesnt connect.
    This command assumes that the AP uses WEP encryption and you say that you use WPA, therefore it will not connect successfully. As I said in my last post you will need to use wpa_supplicant to connect to your AP, and there can be found quite a few threads explaining this process, for example some excellent guides made by -=Xploitz=-.
    i can scan for networks using iwlist scanning to find networks. it finds them but when i run the iwconfig command it will not connect.
    Well at least the card seems to work just fine, so once you get the hang of the commands you should be able to connect just fine. I recommend that you slow down a bit and get to actually understand the commands instead of simply executing them. For example check the man pages for the if-/iwconfig commands as they make a good starting point:
    Code:
    man iwconfig
    man ifconfig
    i try using wireless assistant but when mi eth0 is up and scanning, it finds a network but never connects..
    Wireless assistant has numerous issues which is why most people will recommend using the command line to connect instead. Two things to make sure when having this issue is however to make sure you are close enough to the AP, your card has a rather weak transmission power so although you might get the signal from the AP it might not be able to hear you. Also issue the following command prior to firing up the program: rm /etc/dhcpc/*.

Quote Originally Posted by =Tron= View Post
    Wireless assistant has numerous issues which is why most people will recommend using the command line to connect instead.
    @ the team why keep including a seriously flawed program??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast