Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying a USB dongle

Question Buying a USB dongle

I simply cannot freaking decide which USB "dongle" to buy. I have searched and searched and read reviews.. Everyone's opinion is completely different, everywhere!

My first consideration was the D-Link WUA-1340. The BT3 wiki says it works fine. Then I go look for it online, read some customer reviews, and it gets like, a 2/5? What the hell? Then I look at the NetGear WG111v2 which was suggested by some guy who made a video on youtube about aircrack+backtrack. Then I go check the NetGear WG111v2 on the wiki, and google.. And apparently it's no good either.

All I want is a USB dongle around $20. I would like for it to be able to inject, as my current built in wireless network card (a broadcom in my Acer Aspire 7520) does not support injection.

Note: I can only get Backtrack 2 to boot and work correctly.(on my laptop, on my PC it boots fine.) I can get BT3 to boot, but it seems when it boots up I get no wireless. I have another thread on the newbie forum about it, lol. So yeah, hopefully the USB dongle will be compatable with both 2 and 3. I suspect that in BT3, when it boots, if I had another wireless network card, perhaps I could connect. I'm thinking, maybe it's my network card that's not working. idk.

alfa..............
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Alfa-USB-Wireles...QQcmdZViewItem
    if u want a stick, or even beter:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Alfa-500mW-USB-W...QQcmdZViewItem
    for much more sensitivity and txpower.
    dont except good range with a stick...
    both support injection out of the box +++
    -Google is watching you

-June 1, 2001, Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer: "Linux is a cancer that attaches itself in an intellectual property sense to everything it touches."

Quote Originally Posted by Acester View Post
    I simply cannot freaking decide which USB "dongle" to buy. I have searched and searched and read reviews.. Everyone's opinion is completely different, everywhere!
    Yeah, I know, it's a complete pain in the neck.

Most of the problem lies in people actually believing the stupid, outdated lists everyone has about this brand's model X "working," but they never define what working really means, never mind that the model has been farmed out to six different contractors resulting in entirely different chipsets and functionality while keeping the same part number.

aircrack-ng.org/doku.php?id=compatibility_drivers&DokuWiki=2dd9075 e8f3a3dedea470081bb401ed3

on aircrack-ng's website there is a compatability list. whilst its a bit out of date you can see that all atheros some d-links etc.. and its as good as youll get.

I wouldnt belive half the people saying this chipset doesnt work it took me 5 minutres to get my intel 3945 working after reading 50 posts saying they dont work i found one guy who knew his stuff adn it turns out a simple "grep 3945ABG" before you start makes it purr like kitten at your feet at lunchtime.

Thumbs up

My first consideration was the D-Link WUA-1340. The BT3 wiki says it works fine. Then I go look for it online, read some customer reviews, and it gets like, a 2/5? What the hell? Then I look at the NetGear WG111v2 which was suggested by some guy who made a video on youtube about aircrack+backtrack. Then I go check the NetGear WG111v2 on the wiki, and google.. And apparently it's no good either.

All I want is a USB dongle around $20. I would like for it to be able to inject, as my current built in wireless network card (a broadcom in my Acer Aspire 7520) does not support injection.

Note: I can only get Backtrack 2 to boot and work correctly.(on my laptop, on my PC it boots fine.) I can get BT3 to boot, but it seems when it boots up I get no wireless. I have another thread on the newbie forum about it, lol. So yeah, hopefully the USB dongle will be compatable with both 2 and 3. I suspect that in BT3, when it boots, if I had another wireless network card, perhaps I could connect. I'm thinking, maybe it's my network card that's not working. idk.
    Accoding to ure range.best bet is Linksys WUSB43GC rt73 chipset or Linksys wusb54G v4 with ralink 2570 chipset based which can be further modified by adding a external RP-SMA Antenna.

Quote Originally Posted by secure_it View Post
    Accoding to ure range.best bet is Linksys WUSB43GC rt73 chipset or Linksys wusb54G v4 with ralink 2570 chipset based which can be further modified by adding a external RP-SMA Antenna.
    I second that: both are solid cards. Craigslist will be a good bet for finding these (undervalued) cards.
    dd if=/dev/swc666 of=/dev/wyze

I've looked over everything, and I really have to say thanks for all the quick help and support! I think I have decided on the Alfa AWUS036E, it seems like a really good one for me. The average price is 25 bucks no matter where you look, it's a USB with an antenna.. So I'm assuming the range will be as good or better than the built in network card that I already have.

Not exactly sure how to go about buying it.. I am Canadian, just to let you know, so usually I have to pay through the nose for shipping, even when it's just from the USA. I could get it from ebay, or I could get it from a resellers website. What do you think the best choice is?

I've looked over everything, and I really have to say thanks for all the quick help and support! I think I have decided on the Alfa AWUS036E, it seems like a really good one for me. The average price is 25 bucks no matter where you look, it's a USB with an antenna.. So I'm assuming the range will be as good or better than the built in network card that I already have.
    I am assuming that you mean the AWUS036H card that is highly popular among the users of this forum, and if so I can pretty much guarantee that you will be satisfied with the range When I got my own I hunted around for the best price and came to the conclusion that, even including the shipping costs, the best deals could be found on Ebay.

EDIT: Just noticed aggtfrad's link to the AWUS036E model so I guess this was your pick after all. Although I have no personal experience from this card the Broadcom internal cards are pretty notorious for being weak. Therefore this card with the external antenna most definitely will perform better and provide further range than your current card as well.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

well, if you check the eBay link that aggtrfrad posted, the seller ships their Canadian orders from a town in Ontario so no duties to worry about.

I just bought an Alfa AWUS036H from them and it took about a week to get here.

/edit

although I do have to say.... their packaging could use some work. All they did was take the retail box and slapped some tape on it.

Quote Originally Posted by =Tron= View Post
    I am assuming that you mean the AWUS036H card that is highly popular among the users of this forum, and if so I can pretty much guarantee that you will be satisfied with the range When I got my own I hunted around for the best price and came to the conclusion that, even including the shipping costs, the best deals could be found on Ebay.
    It is definitely an amazing adapter. The range I get with this thing is insane.
    Even with my AP on the top floor of my house, my IPW2100 in my T40 could barely pick up a signal from the basement. Now, it's not a problem.

To show how good the range is, I have 3 other adapters to compare to;

Linksys WUSB54G : 3 to 4 APs
    Airlink 3026 : 5 to 6 APs
    IBM T40 IPW2100 : 10 to 11 APs (no injection anyway)

Alfa AWUS036H : 23 to 25 APs

That's more than twice as many as the built in miniPCI card in my laptop that uses the LCD as an antenna.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast