Thread: BT3 Live CD won't start up... help!!!!

Just burned his ISO

Default BT3 Live CD won't start up... help!!!!

When I start the live CD and choose the KDE option, it automatically brings me to a black screen. If I tap the power button Then it will show me the BT3 startup details, but always seems to get hung up at, Serial: 8250/1655. I was wondering if there was a way to disable this before loading the OS? I searched around and found the appends APCI=off and noapic, but haven't had any luck, didn't think I would because It doesn't look like I am hung up on an APCI. When I start up in Text Mode, The screen will freeze at PnP, then I tap power button and it again freezes at Serial 8250/1655.

If anyone can give me some advice it would be helpful. Two more things, I am using an Acer Aspire 5520 laptop, and I am a Linux Noob.

Quote Originally Posted by co88dy View Post
    ... I am a Linux Noob.
    Well, you may want to learn how to use linux first. There are plenty of guides online.
    I started off by reading:
    northernjourney [dot] com/opensource/newbies/
    Backtrack is *not* generally suitable as a starting point to learning linux, as it uses primarily command lines. It's like trying to crack open a walnut with a hammer but blindfolded.
    Try using one of the easier distros like ubuntu.

Just burned his ISO

Well i've run into the same problem.
    I've run backtrack and backtrack 2 without much problems on laptops before.
    Now i just bought this new acer 5520 and backtrack 3 final just gives you a black screen stops loading anything.
    It indeed gives you some information when pressing the power button, but nothing pointing to any problems.
    When booting in safemode it indeeds stops on pnp ACPI init.

also tried the -BT no hotplug acpi=off command with no luck whatsoever.

I also found another post on this forum which i am not allowed to post.

which talks about the same laptop and exactly the same problem.

I've also tried backtrack 2 which boots just fine except no wlan support.

I hope someone can find a solution to this problem.

Just burned his ISO

I had a similar problem - BT Final would hang. As suggested elsewhere, I re-downloaded the ISO and burned to a new CD. This one works fine. In any event, I wasted no time installing to my MacBook's hard drive via a 5 GB Boot Camp partition, and I must say that a 55 second boot sure beats 2:45, and it is also much more responsive (no CD spin-up lag).

Just burned his ISO

Well ive downloaded the usb version 4 times no luck.
    CD iso also 4 times no luck.
    nothing seems to help and this seems to be the case for everyone with a acer aspire 5520.
    Not a single thing mentioned on this forum helps and so far itseems as if this problem is not taken seriously by anyone.
    Anyway it has been fun using backtrack but this forces me to switch to another distro.

Good luck with it.

Just burned his ISO

I have the same problem, I was hoping it would be fixed by the final release but I guess not :/ ANY suggestions would be appreciated

Just burned his ISO

ok I got it working, you must select KDE Vesa , compiz and just kde do not work. flux might im not sure i haven't test it but just select kde vesa, then press tab to edit the bootup and add "acpi=off noapic" without the quotes.

wireless was not working when i tried though

Quote Originally Posted by co88dy View Post
    When I start the live CD and choose the KDE option, it automatically brings me to a black screen. If I tap the power button Then it will show me the BT3 startup details, but always seems to get hung up at, Serial: 8250/1655. I was wondering if there was a way to disable this before loading the OS? I searched around and found the appends APCI=off and noapic, but haven't had any luck, didn't think I would because It doesn't look like I am hung up on an APCI. When I start up in Text Mode, The screen will freeze at PnP, then I tap power button and it again freezes at Serial 8250/1655.
    This basically outlines my entire problem. I have an Aspire 7520-5185, and when booting BT3, regardless of which option I pick, the screen will go black. When I tap the power button, it wakes up and I can see the screen.. It gets to Serial: 8250/1655 and stops. Backtrack 2 will boot fine without any use of cheats (boot codes).

I CAN get BT3 to boot up when I use this:
    Code:
    /boot/vmLinuz vga=normal initrd=/boot/initrd.gz ramdisk_size=6666
    root=/dev/ram0 rw acpi=off noapic
    However, as someone has stated before the wireless internet will not work, which renders BT3 useless in this state.

Just so you know, I am going to purchase an Alfa AWUS036H. It's my suspicion that when this is plugged into the laptop, I can get wireless through it instead of the built in card. If not, it is clearly an issue with BT3. I have seen many people with the same issues that I am having myself, namely the people in this thread.