Thread: USB name

Just burned his ISO

Lightbulb USB name

How do you change the USB Flash Drive's Product Name and Manufacturer. I hope this is not illegal, I just want to customize my flash drive.
    Anyway here's the long story, hope someone can help:

When you insert a USB flash drive in a Windows OS a yellow bubble like thing appears on the lower right corner of the screen. Giving the Manufacturer and the Product Name of the device.

I have a 1GB Kingston Data Traveler Mini. At least that what it says before it got broken (it got write protected, without an unwriteprotect switch). I fixed it with the low level formatter of Apacer. And now windows and my bios says that I have an Apacer HT202 USB Flash Drive.

*incandescent bulb* A software can edit my USB flash drive's internal name (product name). It's been two weeks since I've started and I still cant change my flash drive product name. I know it can be done since the Apacer tool made my Kingston into an Apacer.
    Has anybody tried to do this... I'm not giving up.

Edit the firmware.............

Or maybe find an original firmware from a Kingston(?)

I wouldn't be too concerned about it though, if it's now working OK

Just burned his ISO

Default Thanx 4 d reply

The drive is working properly... I was just thinking, maybe I can change the name and type of my USB Flash Drive. Because, before I broke it, the BIOS recognize its as a USB-HDD with the name "Kingston Data Traveler Mini", now its a USB Key and just "USB FLASH DRIVE" as name.

My BIOS boots USB HDD as separate category as IDE HDDs, so I can just put the USB HDD at a higher boot priority than IDE HDD. Now the Flash drive IS in the same category as the IDE HDD, now everytime i want to boot from the Flash drive I have to go to the BIOS edit the IDE HDD priority, since IDE priority resets if I boot the machine without the USB.

Its really nothing major, I just got curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Re@lity View Post
    Edit the firmware.............
    is there a way I can do that?