Thread: Compiling Milw0rm exploit

Default Compiling Milw0rm exploit

Hi all!

I've been doing a lot of research, and I think I've made a couple of steps in the right direction, but now I'm officially stumped. I'm trying to compile and use this exploit, (hxxp://xxx.milw0rm.com/exploits/5518) but I've hit some snags.
    Seeing as I started from nothing I think I've made some good progress.
    I downloaded it and found out that it's a Visual Basic project code. I downloaded microsoft's free Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition and opened up a new project using the files I downloaded. I was getting errors trying to compile, so I did some googling. It ended up that I needed to set it up as a console application and needed to tell it to ignore the LIBC.lib file as it was giving errors.
    So after that, I hit Build and got a successful file. When I run it on my computer, I get what (I think) I'm supposed to get. It doesn't work, however, because I'm using SP3.
    Next I fired up two of my virtual machines. One is a Windows XP patched up to SP2, the second is a completely sterile, plain-jane, no services packs, version of XP.
    When I tried to run my newly created file on these boxes, I would get errors. When I tried double-clicking on it, I got "This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem." and when I try running it from the command prompt, I get "The system cannot execute the specified program."
    Is there anything I'm missing? I can't make head or tails of this problem...

Thank you!
    Chandler
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
    -Willy Wonka-

Any ideas anyone?
    -Willy Wonka-

Quote Originally Posted by carrot View Post
    Hi all!

I've been doing a lot of research, and I think I've made a couple of steps in the right direction, but now I'm officially stumped. I'm trying to compile and use this exploit, (hxxp://xxx.milw0rm.com/exploits/5518) but I've hit some snags.
    Seeing as I started from nothing I think I've made some good progress.
    I downloaded it and found out that it's a Visual Basic project code. I downloaded microsoft's free Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition
    Visual Basic != Visual C++
    and opened up a new project using the files I downloaded.
    Why do you open a new project when a project file is included?
    Code:
    ms08-25-exploit.vcproj
    I know it's rocket science but what do you suppose .vcproj stands for?
    I was getting errors trying to compile, so I did some googling. It ended up that I needed to set it up as a console application and needed to tell it to ignore the LIBC.lib file as it was giving errors.
    So after that, I hit Build and got a successful file. When I run it on my computer, I get what (I think) I'm supposed to get. It doesn't work, however, because I'm using SP3.
    Next I fired up two of my virtual machines. One is a Windows XP patched up to SP2, the second is a completely sterile, plain-jane, no services packs, version of XP.
    When I tried to run my newly created file on these boxes, I would get errors. When I tried double-clicking on it, I got "This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem." and when I try running it from the command prompt, I get "The system cannot execute the specified program."
    Is there anything I'm missing? I can't make head or tails of this problem...

Thank you!
    Chandler
    You're probably missing .NET Framework or some stupid runtime libraries on your old busted images.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Quote Originally Posted by thorin View Post
    Visual Basic != Visual C++
    Haha, i figured as such. Thanks

Why do you open a new project when a project file is included?
    Code:
    ms08-25-exploit.vcproj
    I know it's rocket science but what do you suppose .vcproj stands for?
    Because whenever I would try to open the .vcproj file, it would want to convert it and at first (before I did those other things) I thought that was breaking it.
    I actually knew what it stood for. Yay filext.com!

You're probably missing .NET Framework or some stupid runtime libraries on your old busted images.
    I actually tried installing the .NET Framework on one of the two VM's to see if that was it. Didn't make a difference.

Do you think I need to find the LIBC.lib file I told it to ignore and include it?

Thanks for your help thorin!
    -Willy Wonka-

Just burned his ISO

Default Need the compiled executable

If anyone has successfully compiled the code can that person please share the compiled exe. If possible upload it on rapidshare or any other temporary file sharing server.

It would be really kind of whosoever helps by contributing in this manner.

Developer

If anyone has successfully compiled the code can that person please share the compiled exe. If possible upload it on rapidshare or any other temporary file sharing server.

It would be really kind of whosoever helps by contributing in this manner.
    If you cant compile it your self you probably don't need it