Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows Vista to Backtrack

Just burned his ISO

Default Windows Vista to Backtrack

Soup Remote-Exploit,

Let me start off by saying that i'm a complete n00b when it comes to Linux. But I have every intention on learning and becoming very acquainted with it ASAP. My only problem is that I've been a lifelong user of Windows and have a lot talent using it, but not a clue as to what i'm doing in backtrack. I have no bearings or basic understanding of it.

So I ask you guys, what can you recommend me to do to get a basic understanding of linux and backtrack. Is there a book or a n00b wiki that I can read to get a basic understanding? I have a lot of questions and need a really good grasp of what i'm doing. Here are some example questions that i'm look for answers in a book or wiki.

How do I install software?
    What does "make" and "make install" do?
    How do i determine what kernel i'm running?
    How do i configure my settings (wireless, wired)?
    How do i patch my wireless device for injection?
    How do I configure hardware?
    What is some must know commands and terminology?

Many thanks in advanced for you help.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

I'm fairly certain there are several places on the inturtubes that already explains these things, and that Mr. Google knows where all of them are.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by pmarinel View Post

So I ask you guys, what can you recommend me to do to get a basic understanding of linux and backtrack. Is there a book or a n00b wiki that I can read to get a basic understanding? I have a lot of questions and need a really good grasp of what i'm doing. Here are some example questions that i'm look for answers in a book or wiki.
    Read This Thread First

http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=7180

Especially written for you.

Developer

Let me start off by saying Backtrack is not for beginners. It is designed with security professionals in mind who already have a good working knowledge of networking and of linux shell commands. That being said most people we get here don't listen to that piece of advice and insist on trying to master backtrack in a few short months which is not possible. So if you are one of these people be prepared to put in lots of legwork in order to get one small tool to work because that's what it will take with out basic linux knowledge. Be prepared when you ask questions to make sure youve done the research becasue most of the quality members and staff here do not have time to teach you basic linux commands. Now since my rant is over I will try to answer the questions you posted.

This can be done in a few ways. Most linux distros have a package manager which attempts to install the required software and its dependencies. In backtrack we use slapt-get which is the slackware package manager. Unfortunately this tool is no longer included in backtrack so you would have to install it your self first. Then its a matter of slapt-get install (whatever).

The next way is by .tgz packages for slackware which can be installed like this. installpkg (whatever). This however will not install and libraries or dependencies you need. These types of packages can be found at various repositories around the inturweb.

The final and preferred method is to compile from source which leads right into question 2. Normally when a package is downloaded it will contain a read me file which most people don't bother to read however strangely enough the authors of these tools generally put the instructions in the read me So there will be many source install methods in linux packages but the most generall one works like this.
    configure - this runs a script which checks that you have all the required hardware and software and all the needed file paths are in the correct place. Normally if this fails it will give you some clue as to what else you may need.
    Make - This creates whats called a make file which is a set of instructions your particular machine can understand.
    Make install - This actually carries out the instructions and installs the software on to your system. ( note that nothing is done to you existing system until the make install command is given).
    See answer above
    this can be done with the uname command in a shell like this...
    purehate@pwnsauce ~ $ uname -a
    Linux pwnsauce 2.6.25-gentoo-r6 #15 SMP Thu Jul 24 06:03:04 EST 2008 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
    This is more than I can quickly answer here because it depends on your card. Generally for a wired interface its as easy as..
    modprobe e100 - this loads the kernel module
    ifconfig eth0 up - this brings your interface up
    dhcpcd eth0 - this gets you a IP address via DHCP

To renew you IP you would do this...
    dhcpcd -k - release IP address
    ifconfig eth0 up
    dhcpcd eth0

Now for a static IP you have to do this...
    ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.100/24 -set IP address & sub net mask
    route add default gw 192.168.0.1-set default gateway
    echo nameserver 192.168.0.1 > /etc/resolv.conf-set DNS server

Wireless works in much the same way the only thing that will change is the name of your interface. Some interface examples you will see are eth0,eth1,ath1,ath0,wlan0,rausb1,wlan1 and a few others.

Most supported interfaces/cards are patched for you and will work by default in backtrack. I can not stress enough the importance of checking the wiki and buying a supported card. There are also many threads on the forums about which cards are better for what. Let me end this section by saying most cards of any value must be ordered online. The crap Bestbuy sells is exactly that "Crap".
    This is a extremely broad question however I assume you mean things like video cards and printers and such. This depends entirely on the make and model of the equipment. Linux works in the same way as windows in that regard because you need drivers. Generally speaking unless you are trying to do something totally off the wall, someone has probably already done it and there will be a tutorial on the net somewhere. Sometimes you will have to modify the instruction to suit your needs but that's a lot of the fun in linux.
    http://www.ss64.com/bash/ - I consider most of these to be fairly basic linux commands. I also keep this book close by at all times. Linux in a Nutshell.
    I try to master a command I don't know every few days and after years of that I know quite a few and most of their arguments. There is nothing wrong in having a desk reference book for linux as one would have to be a super genius to know all the commands and arguments that go with them.

I hope I answered some of your wuestions about linux and hopefully since I took all this time to write this some other people will read it and it will help them understand what the are getting into. Linux is a great alternative to windows however it requires a little work to be able to do all the things you did in windows so easily.

pureh@te == spoonfeeder in training
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Developer

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    pureh@te == spoonfeeder in training
    My wife and I had a great morning He caught me in a good mood

Quote Originally Posted by pureh@te View Post
    My wife and I had a great morning He caught me in a good mood
    TMI, and no, I don't mean the Nuclear reactor plant.

So I ask you guys, what can you recommend me to do to get a basic understanding of linux
    Install Ubuntu.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Quote Originally Posted by thorin View Post
    Install Ubuntu.
    Why does that advice seem to sound like equivalent of telling a Windows user to start using an Etch-o-sketch?

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Why does that advice seem to sound like equivalent of telling a Windows user to start using an Etch-o-sketch?
    Instead of "Install Ubuntu", I now have a new response for those clueless "i wanna know how to use BT" questions.

Ah yes, I thought this rang a bell. You have to love Dilbert.

http://pics.livejournal.com/allah_sulu/pic/0002f3h8/g13
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast