Thread: BT3 noob questions. sorry.

Just burned his ISO

Default BT3 noob questions. sorry.

Hi This is my first post on these forums. I have skimmed over the wiki and couldnt seem to find any answer related to this question of mines. If it is answered just point me in the right direction.

Question #1
    I want to install BT3 on my HP Pavillion dv6000 (dv635us to be exact) laptop. I have read that it has problems with getting the wifi to work. When I use it I can see my router and connect to it, but yet i still do not have access to the internet. What is wrong?

Question #2
    I am getting ready to install bt3 on it. I already have a second partition that came with the laptop for hp recovery. Since i have 2 partitions on it already is there a way i can install bt3 without making 3 partitions like the guide says for it? Because of what i know fdisk only lets me install 4 partitions. my first one is used by windows. and the 2nd one is hp recovery disk. I have already made a partition that i would like to install linux on. Can i just install bt3 on that partition only, and if so could you please point me into the right direction.

s278.photobucket.com/albums/kk118/pwn5tar/?action=view&current=snapshot2.jpg

Sounds to me like you would be better off just booting from a usb sitck or memory card for now plus whats chipset is your wifi card? Some dont support all the features in BT3 some wont work at all
    Don't discount Windows, I would be a poor man without it ;)

I am assuming you know how to install BT 3 to the second partition. But wait a minute you might ask your self how do i boot into that second partition. Well try not to use the Microsoft boot loader. After you have formated the 2nd partition to be able to install BT then install GRUB. It will allow you to pick which OS loads up when the PC starts.

(do a google for GRUB. I can't post the URL to the site yet until I have made 15 or more post.)

Sorry I can not be much help with the WiFi issue I'm not that expeirenced with Linux yet but I am learning.

I am just guessing here so hopefully someone else will be able to figure it out.
    But if your BT can see your router threw the WiFI there might be something wrong with the protocals that are used to speak to the router and use the net. I just started to use BT and haven't tried it on my laptop yet either.
    Good luck on your search.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by johnyt View Post
    Sounds to me like you would be better off just booting from a usb sitck or memory card for now plus whats chipset is your wifi card? Some dont support all the features in BT3 some wont work at all
    thank you for the fast responses. I wish i could do it from a usb. but i only have one that goes up to 256mb....lol. I had one that wasa 4gb but i bent the head of it. i'm not sure how to find out what chipset it is but it just says it is a broadcom 802.11b/g wlan.

also is it possible to install backtrack 3 on one partition only. If so does it have to be ext2, ext3, or swap or etc. I'm using partitionmagic 8 to make it for me.

Just burned his ISO

Im running a Live CD copy of BT3 on the same laptop. The internal Wifi will scan and try to connect, I always get a failed attempt. I got my Linsys WUSB300N to work with Ndiswrapper but from what I hear that will not be able to inject packets.

I was also planning to install BT3 on the HP, let me know if you resolve the partition issue. If I figure it out first I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers
    -Mabus

Ive got a feeling that card you have wont work best to check the wiki to be sure alot of people buy that high power alfa networks card its got the rtl8187 chipset so works right out the box. So as you'll probably need to buy a new wifi device you maay as well get a new usb stick at the same time. It really is a lot simpler for people learning or maybe just stick with the live cd for now.

If you really want it on your hard drive theres plenty of guides in the howto section of the forums. I've never done it myself as i got a sd card reader on the laptop i just boot from that. For an os I dont use alot it didn't warrent taking up space on my lil hard drive
    Don't discount Windows, I would be a poor man without it ;)

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Mabus View Post
    Im running a Live CD copy of BT3 on the same laptop. The internal Wifi will scan and try to connect, I always get a failed attempt. I got my Linsys WUSB300N to work with Ndiswrapper but from what I hear that will not be able to inject packets.

I was also planning to install BT3 on the HP, let me know if you resolve the partition issue. If I figure it out first I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers
    -Mabus
    You simply have to open your Wireless Assistant and click Manual configuration. From there:

ESSID: NAMEOFNETWORK
    NETMASK: 255.255.255.0
    IP Address: (Make up one with 192.168.1..., make sure that it doesn't already belong to another device).
    ROUTER: ROUTERIP
    GATEWAY: YOUR GATEWAY IP (Can be found in Windows by doing an ipconfig)
    DNS: Typically same as gateway

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by johnyt View Post
    Ive got a feeling that card you have wont work best to check the wiki to be sure alot of people buy that high power alfa networks card its got the rtl8187 chipset so works right out the box. So as you'll probably need to buy a new wifi device you maay as well get a new usb stick at the same time. It really is a lot simpler for people learning or maybe just stick with the live cd for now.

If you really want it on your hard drive theres plenty of guides in the howto section of the forums. I've never done it myself as i got a sd card reader on the laptop i just boot from that. For an os I dont use alot it didn't warrent taking up space on my lil hard drive
    i dont have a regular slot like most laptops. So i do not think i can get the normal wirelesss adapter. I'm pretty sure theres a forum thats been made about this but can someone tell me a compatible usb wireless adapater i can use or if theres any other options. Or link me to one of the forums?

I bet any of the linksys USB wireless adapters will work.