Depending on your locale ;-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_...preciation_Day

I for one may be demanding a lifetime supply of coffee
    ---------

OSX 10.6
    Advent Vega (Tegra 250)

Working on getting BT5 working on the Vega

Good friend of the forums

Unfortunately none of places I have worked celebrated this day. They always celebrated secretaries day, boss's day, arbor day, and every other day but not once sysadmin day. They can't say they weren't informed, the whole group were technology experts doing research and some of us also posted signs announcing it. There is no other feeling quite like not being appreciated. Unfortunately I have become used to it.
    I like the bleeding edge, but I don't like blood loss

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by bofh28 View Post
    Unfortunately none of places I have worked celebrated this day. They always celebrated secretaries day, boss's day, arbor day, and every other day but not once sysadmin day. They can't say they weren't informed, the whole group were technology experts doing research and some of us also posted signs announcing it. There is no other feeling quite like not being appreciated. Unfortunately I have become used to it.
    Yeah, I sent the announcement to my new boss, here's his reply:

Quote Originally Posted by PHB
    Everyday is System Administrator Appreciation Day
    Uh yeah, No one was appreciating it I in here lastnight until 6:30 dealing with a power failure in the entire building, nor when I was in on sunday afternoon when one of the servers went unresponsive.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Yeah, I sent the announcement to my new boss, here's his reply:

Uh yeah, No one was appreciating it I in here lastnight until 6:30 dealing with a power failure in the entire building, nor when I was in on sunday afternoon when one of the servers went unresponsive.
    Yup ... I was in at 07:00 BST this morning dealing with a Borked VoIP roll out, (3rd party vendor chosen not by me to "save money").

I may start having to remind certain exec's off the age old quote.

"I have a raised telecoms floor, and a short temper"

Nightmare days are also good, I especially _like_ the ones where you find a printer / server has been broken due to some "wannabe" ...

In this case, printer needs toner, non tech thinks it's just a toner cart,

Removes and destroys connector to fuser unit,

Realising blunder, replaces fuser unit, but now damaged connector will not fit properly,

proceeds to hammer it into place,

closes lid and hopes for best.

Come morning I remove unit to find a very damaged connector.

And send a nice email along the lines of "Thank you for taking 80% of the printers initial worth out of this years budget, touch my devices again and I will kill you"

There's a lot to be said for BOFH, I just need to figure out how to rig a nice 1000dB alarm into the printer chasis, should deter the average Layer 8 peon.
    ---------

OSX 10.6
    Advent Vega (Tegra 250)

I guess this guy didn't feel appreciated enough, perhaps streaker69 should attach this news story along with your next remainder of the sysadmin appreciation day to your boss.
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...BAOS11P1M5.DTL
    A disgruntled city computer engineer has virtually commandeered San Francisco's new multimillion-dollar computer network, altering it to deny access to top administrators even as he sits in jail on $5 million bail, authorities said Monday.
    EDIT: Although the guy technically was a network administrator and not system administrator.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

well I'm going to surprise my network guys.

I'm a test manager and couldn't operate without their constant help in the set up and tear down of our systems.

Quote Originally Posted by anathema View Post
    well I'm going to surprise my network guys.

I'm a test manager and couldn't operate without their constant help in the set up and tear down of our systems.
    Yay someone gets it!
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Quote Originally Posted by thorin View Post
    Yay someone gets it!
    Yea, his surprise is going to be along the lines of, "Hey guys guess what, we're working overtime this weekend!".
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

bump for the morning, Happy sysadmins day.
    ---------

OSX 10.6
    Advent Vega (Tegra 250)