Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: alfa 500mw + 9dbi Wireless = Problem With me??

Just burned his ISO

Default alfa 500mw + 9dbi Wireless = Problem With me??

Hello all
    i have problem with new antenna
    9dbi Wireless Router RP SMA Antenna For Linksys Dlink
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=370049277360
    But when i connected with my alfa 500mw usb wireless don't have more range Conversely lost the signal strength and range and When used attributed the old original (2 dbi) Get stronger signal and range !!!
    What is the problem plz ???
    "Sorry my English is bad"

I've noticed a similar scenario. When I purchased my 9dbi omnidirectional RP-SMA antenna I expected to gain a lot on the signal strength when compared to the original 2dbi antenna that comes with Alfa. Surprisingly, the signal strength and range remain about the same for both antennas. Airodump-ng shows about the same number of access points in both cases.

I would say that there is a problem with this antenna. However, you would need some very expensive equipment to absolutely verify this. But then again, you have already pretty much verified that the antenna is crap with the lack of increased gain and range. Given what xCPPx said about the airodump-ng readings, I would say that the antenna isn't worth the plastic that it is made of.

Just chalk this up to a cheap learning experience and stick this toss this piece of crap into a drawer somewhere.

For some comfort you might want to check out the free templates provided at www.freeantennas.com. These reflectors actually work really well for boosting both the range and signal quality of your antenna and are easy enough to do yourself.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by lovena.2008 View Post
    Hello all
    i have problem with new antenna
    9dbi Wireless Router RP SMA Antenna For Linksys Dlink
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=370049277360
    But when i connected with my alfa 500mw usb wireless don't have more range Conversely lost the signal strength and range and When used attributed the old original (2 dbi) Get stronger signal and range !!!
    What is the problem plz ???
    "Sorry my English is bad"
    When you buy crap antennas with crap coax on them, you're going to get crap results.

You got exactly what you paid for.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    When you buy crap antennas with crap coax on them, you're going to get crap results.

You got exactly what you paid for.
    But who cares when I can write an entire post in bold, italicized size 4 text?

** /me gets the foam bat of re-education **

Now today children we're going to learn how to ask a question in the forum ...

muwhahahah

/end rant
    ---------

OSX 10.6
    Advent Vega (Tegra 250)

Working on getting BT5 working on the Vega

Just burned his ISO

you could do what I did and use the base of the faulty antenna (RP-SMA) with your alfa too make a homemade bi-quad antenna which in my opinion is an excellent antenna

Hmm, interesting. I bought mine off some online wireless shop. I spotted it on a discount page and quickly bought it for its cheap price. I tested it only briefly indoor and on the balcony, but I plan to conduct some more tests out in the open. We'll see how it turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by Oneiroi View Post
    But who cares when I can write an entire post in bold, italicized size 4 text?

** /me gets the foam bat of re-education **

Now today children we're going to learn how to ask a question in the forum ...

muwhahahah

/end rant
    What's this foam bat shit? Use a wooden one! Preferably with old rusty nails in it.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by driller View Post
    you could do what I did and use the base of the faulty antenna (RP-SMA) with your alfa too make a homemade bi-quad antenna which in my opinion is an excellent antenna
    But you'd be making a homemade antenna of dubious quality out of crap coax.

I guess I was just brought up with the idea that there's no sense in doing something unless it's done right.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast