Thread: Can not login after changing root password

Just burned his ISO

Default Can not login after changing root password

Hello.
    I recently installed bt3f to my harddrive and it worked like a charm, but when I change the root password from the default "toor", to something else, I am not able to login again after rebooting. I reinstalled bt after that and changed the password again, and the same problem persist. What is going on here? I was able to login with the toor password.

Thanks for the help.

Just burned his ISO

Default RE: Can not login after changing root password

I think i had this problem before, and managed to solve it!!
    how are you changing your root password?
    may be i could help. ^^
    __________________________________________________ _______________
    "Live to kill at 90MPH!"

Just burned his ISO

I use the passwd command in the shell

I used passwd in the shell

Boot with the CD and copy /etc/passwd and the shadow file back to the applicable places on your HD install then you'll be back to root/toor
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by thorin View Post
    Boot with the CD and copy /etc/passwd and the shadow file back to the applicable places on your HD install then you'll be back to root/toor

he is asking not to restore the default username/password instead his question is that after changing password he is not able to log-in.

using command passwd enter password twice time carefully then it should show the msg Password changed.if it does not work login with default root/toor and from terminal try to change passwd after logged-in.should work.

Quote Originally Posted by secure_it View Post
    he is asking not to restore the default username/password instead his question is that after changing password he is not able to log-in.
    I understand that, I was just putting the suggestion out there as a quick way for him to get back to an operational state.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Isn't there a way to use some type of text editor and find where the root password is saved and change it that way ?

Quote Originally Posted by ghostwire View Post
    Isn't there a way to use some type of text editor and find where the root password is saved and change it that way ?
    Sure, the root password will be stored in the shadow file which you can edit using any common text-editor. The password will however naturally not be stored in clear-text format, but in the form of a MD5 hash, so you cannot simply type in the actual new password.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

so you could change the root password on the live cd

then open the shadow file on the cd copy the hash from there into the install on your hdd.

i think that would work?!?

Just burned his ISO

Try getting an md5 hasher, hashing 'root' and checking to see if they're the same.
    Then, hash whatever password you want and paste it in?
    Just a thought...